Chapter 109 - Dodgeball Showdown

It was P.E. class, and everyone got into the gymnasium, which actually got a big upgrade while Kimetsu Academy was under reconstruction. After all the students poured in, Giyu pulled out something from the next room over.

"Alright, class. Today, we'll be playing... dodgeball! There will be two teams of nine, since Yuichiro is absent due to being part of our trivia games team to have a match against Moeru Tamashii. Our team captains will be..." he announces, picking up two dodgeballs and throwing them. Tanjiro gets hit in the face by one, and Isekai catches the other. "Tanjiro and Isekai!" he finishes.

"We will decide first pick by coin toss," he says, drawing out a coin. "What do you bet on?" he asks. Tanjiro thinks about it. "Heads," he says. "I guess I get tails, then..." he replies, not opposing anything. Giyu shrugs, and flips the coin. It spins rapidly in the air, and Giyu catches it. He opens his hand, and the coin lands on heads.

"It's heads. Tanjiro gets first pick," he announces, putting the coin in his pocket. He thought about it for a while, and came to a decision. "My first pick... Inosuke!" he calls. Inosuke grins and walks over to him. "I promise you won't regret this," he says, gratitude in his voice.

Isekai didn't have to even think and outright chose Susamaru. "Eh? Really? You could have picked Kaigaku or Kanao, but... okay..." she comments, hands behind her neck as she walks to Isekai. "I pick Kanao!" Tanjiro says. She runs up to him and hugs him, and Isekai thinks about his next pick. "Oh, sir, before I make my next pick, are we allowed to use our magics in this?" Isekai asks. Giyu nods. "Under the condition that you cannot use defensive or cloning techniques," he answers. "Ah, good. Yahaba, get over here," Isekai calls out.

"Oh, I see his plan now..." Yahaba mutters. "Using Yahaba and Susamaru is bound to become a nasty combo. Susamaru can launch dodgeballs rapidly, since she always plays football and basketball a lot. Yahaba can use HIS power to manipulate the vector of the dodgeballs, so he can literally guide them wherever he wishes! This is the strongest possible card to play in a game like this!"  Isekai thought, reviewing the technique of the combined efforts of Susamaru and Yahaba.

"I choose Muichiro!" Tanjiro says. Muichiro walks over to him and stares off into space as he stands with the others. "Kaigaku," Isekai calls. The next people Tanjiro decided to pick are Sabito and Makomo, and Isekai chose Zenitsu and Masachika.

"Six more, huh?" Isekai says, thinking about his next pick. Tanjiro calls for Ozaki, and Isekai chooses Murata. Tanjiro picked Genya, followed by his opponent picking Nezuko. "Alright, out of you two, I choose Aoi!" Tanjiro said, calling Aoi to his team. "Alright, then I guess I get Yushiro," Isekai said.

"You're... not unhappy about that, are you?" Yushiro asked. "Oh, no, I'm not," Isekai answered, apologizing.

Isekai's Team

Isekai Mizuki
Susamaru
Yahaba
Kaigaku Inadama
Masachika Kumeno
Zenitsu Agatsuma 
Murata
Nezuko Kamado
Yushiro Yamamoto

Tanjiro's Team

Tanjiro Kamado
Inosuke Hashibira
Kanao Tsuyuri
Muichiro Tokito
Sabito
Makomo
Genya Shinazugawa
Ozaki
Aoi Kanzaki

Both teams went to opposite sides of the court, and started preparing themselves for the fight. "Alright, I've placed six dodgeballs. Both teams start with three. Here are the rules.

1. Once a ball is thrown, anyone who gets hit before it lands on the ground, excluding floor ricocheting, is eliminated from the game. If they catch the ball, they're safe.
2. You can use your magic, but you can't use it to sabotage the enemy, defend yourself from incoming dodgeballs, nor can you use cloning techniques.
3. Cross-teaming is prohibited! If you are caught working with an enemy team member, both players will be eliminated and sent to detention.