Chapter 78 - Slaughter

The demon Kanao opened her eyes, and Doma let her out of the tube. The latter just went to sleep, as he had a headache trying to figure out what's happening. Muzan then transported himself in front of Kanao, and he gave Kanao her second mission. "There's a group of high-grade slayers in the forest at Irohazaka Route. Would you mind taking care of them for me?" Muzan requested. Kanao nodded, and a sliding door leading to the area he spoke of opened. She went through, and could hear the crackling flame of the Slayer camp's bonfire.

It was cloudy, so it was safe for her to be out. She hid in a bush, and spied on the slayers. "Shouldn't we be training back at the base?" one asked. The other one shrugged, replying, "We should. But, master Ubuyashiki gave us this mission, and it is our command. We're supposed to be patrolling around here for about 3 days, then we can go back to the base.

Kanao then left the bush, which drew the slayers' attention by sound. "What was that?!" they questioned, trying to pay attention. Kanao, who was behind a tree, silently climbed its branches. When she arrived at a suitable altitude above them, she leapt up and landed in the center.

"BEHIND US!" the first one yelled. The second and third jumped forward, trying to avoid possible attacks. They turned behind them to look at the demon, and they knew who it was immediately, purely because of the ponytail. "WAIT... KANAO?!" the both of them questioned. They realized that she became the new Upper Moon Six, but they couldn't relay the information fast enough via radio as she had already slaughtered the three of them.

Muzan then began to speak to her telepathically. "Clear every Slayer encampment in the area before returning. Do it quickly, as to not allow yourself to faint in the middle of the mission, and to not allow yourself to burn in the sun. It's already 1:30. You don't want to be around when 6:00 AM arrives.

Kanao silently huffed, and ran off to another encampment.

MizuTech Main Vessel, April 2nd, 1:30 AM

The database team checked the encampments' statuses. They looked at the status of Encampment IRRO-3, and they realized that the members of the station were slaughtered. Within the next 8 minutes, IRRO-7 was killed as well. One member of the team contacted the Slayers in Irohazaka Route. They said, "Warning call to all encampments in Irohazaka Route: A demon is slaughtering the encampments in your area. Keep your senses sharp for a demon."

The slayers received the message, but then, an "Under Attack" icon appeared in Encampment IRRO-1. One of the members contacted the database team successfully. "It's Kanao who's here! Send backup immediately or have all soldiers retreat from Irohazaka Route! She's too powerful! Ugh-" they requested, immediately being killed after.

The team then ordered a retreat for all encampments in Irohazaka Route. Two more encampments were slaughtered, and IRRO-8 lost a member as well. The rest were able to escape.

Kanao, still back at Irohazaka Route, was contacted by Muzan once more. "You let yourself be spotted by the encampment before you could begin the slaughter. As a result, 3 encampments escaped. No matter, you got the majority of them. Go through the door before you, I want you to help the others with something," he said. Kanao entered the door, and it closed.

She arrived at a green plateau, where the swordsman that held down the Kocho sisters and Tanjiro was there, along with Doma and Akaza. Before them was a large, demonic monster. "I want you all to defeat this demon. It listens to no one but me, and I'm beginning to get tired of commanding it all day myself. Take that thing down, and it'll listen to you as well. That giant is a result of me welding about 100 or so demons with power levels of Lower Moons together. Overall, they're ten times as strong as Doma," he explained. The four obeyed, and the monster woke up.

"MASTER... WHERE MASTER...?" it asked. Three of them readied their battle stances, while the fourth one, or the mysterious swordsman, backed out. "I... have no need... to command... a beast like that..." he said, sitting down on a rock.

"Come on, join us! It'll be fun!" Doma said. The swordsman still refused, and they all just left him alone. The demon monster growled. "IF YOU NOT TELL ME WHERE MASTER... I KILL YOU ALL!" it yelled angrily, threatening to kill them.

Akaza licked his lips, pumped up. "Then give it your best shot, you overgrown mass of meat!" Akaza challenged him, deploying his Needle Compass technique. Kanao readied her Flower Magic, which looked much more sinister, while Doma opened his two fans.

It roared, signifying that it was ready to fight. It started by punching the ground with its fist, creating a large fissure. The three of them jumped away and landed in a river, fully unscathed. "This thing's gonna be harder to kill than I thought...!" Akaza muttered.

To be continued...