Chapter 63.5 - Ayato VS Gyokko

Note: A bit of gore is sprinkled on this chapter. Read at your own risk.

-=FLASHBACK CONTINUES=-

(Narrator: Gyokko)

Our final duel began, and it all came to punches and slashes. I kept turning everything I punched into fish, and Ayato's slashes were even stronger than when I dueled him. He still had the upper hand, and I was beginning to get desperate.

I started to use my magics more often, and the attacks got more and more lethal as the battle progressed. Eventually, everything came to a close with one final attack from Ayato. Wind coated and engulfed his blade, ready to deliver a lethal attack.

When his power reached pinnacle state, he released it all on me and my soldiers. "Blood Magic: Blade Tempest!" he yelled, as the sunlight the nichirin sword absorbed infused into the attack, making it lethal against demons. My soldiers and I got caught up in the swirl, and half my army was killed, but somehow, my head wasn't cut off. After the wind dissipated, Ayato tackled me to the ground, and held his sword at my neck.

"I'm sorry, Managi, but this had to be done. I can't let my clan fall into the wrong hands." he said, lifting the blade, ready to take a swing. He did... but he stopped, the edge just barely touching me. As I internally questioned why he stopped, I could feel his tears pelting me. "I can't do it... I can't do it to a student I trained for six years..." he muttered, sadly crying.

My first thought about it was, "...HE'S... HE'S TAKING PITY ON ME...?! HIM, A LOWER LIFE FORM, LOOKING DOWN ON ME?!" And right there, my vision began to redden, and eventually, I just lost it. The last thing I could remember was going insane, and yelled out: "HOW DARE YOU TAKE PITY ON ME!" as I tore off his arm, and beat him down to the ground with it. I then shoved it through his back, forcing it to protrude from his belly. After that, I snapped back to reality. I took one final look at his face. All I could see was both pride and regret, the majority being the latter. 

When I assumed he was dead, he began to cough up blood. He then gritted his teeth, ready to say one thing. "I hope you're happy, you little shit. You won, and the clan's yours," were his final words to me, as his life force fully faded away. When I realized he was dead, I felt a new feeling wash over me. I didn't know what it was, since it was so blurry that I couldn't even tell what it was, but all I knew was that it was an ugly feeling. I took control of the Misato Clan, and even the remaining human soldiers bowed to me. It was beautiful.

No. No, it wasn't. I now know what that feeling is... it was my own loneliness and regret. The regret coming from when I killed Ayato and the loneliness coming from when I joined the demons.

(Narrator: None)

-=FLASHBACK END=-

As Gyokko was still fading into ashes, Ayato, in control of Tanjiro's body, stood over him with a look of a man who expects an answer. The words Gyokko spoke were "I'm... sorry." Ayato then made a "Hm?" noise, wondering what he meant.

"I know what was most important. The trust between me and my comrades. You let me in, even when I tried to kill you. You trained me, even when I was jealous of you. You wanted to give the Clan Master rank to me, even when I endlessly challenged you. You still felt proud of me, even when I'm the one who ended your life. I don't expect you to forgive me, but I know that I WILL go to Hell without you, just so I could atone for what I've done to the Misato Clan."

Ayato grinned. "Apology accepted. Now go, Managi. Hell awaits you." he said, passing back body control to Tanjiro. He then spoke from inside his mind. "And you, kid, thanks for helping me settle the score. You're real fit for a successor of the Sun Magic. I'll leave you alone, now. Your friends are coming back."

Ayato's presence faded as Isekai, Genya and Masachika ran towards him. Isekai asked him if he was alright. "I'm fine, and I even killed the demon," he said as Gyokko fully faded to ashes. Genya scratched his head, then said: "About the citizens... The policemen are gonna hold them in safekeeping homes until they fix the residency apartments."

Masachika scratched his head, yawning at the same time. "I'm tired guys, let's just head home," he said. Isekai shrugged, agreeing. Tanjiro and Genya also did, and just as they turned to get on Isekai's bike, a girl began to walk on the roof of one of the residency buildings nearby that the battle didn't touch. Isekai noticed her presence, and the other three turned to look at him, then looked at what they were looking at.

And in the immediate moment where Tanjiro looked at where Isekai was looking, he couldn't believe what he saw.

To be continued...