Seventy-six

"Okay Cunningham. You got it."

He took two swift steps before he reached Jake and I.

His eyes danced like flickering flames between Jakes hands and my hips before they settled on Jakes eyes. His jaw clenched tight as he forced eye contact from him. "I'm going to cut in."

The fact that he didn't even ask Jake.l should've made me scoff at his rudeness or roll my eyes at the whole scene, but instead, I found it hot.

"If Ela wants to you will." Jake wasn't backing down. His eyes stayed on Harry's, daring him to try something. This could get ugly fast.

"Jake its okay. I'm okay." I nodded trying to make him look at me and see I was alright with Harry dancing with me. When he finally looked over he seemed..disappointed?

"Thank you Jake." I tried to soothe his slightly damaged ego with a smile.

He shook his head once and slowly removed his hands.

In the seconds his hands were off my hips, Harry was directly in his place. I was pushed into his chest as his mouth came to rest directly next to my ear.

"The drummer? Really?"

I swatted his chest. "Harry. It is nothing. He's just a friend."

He scoffed. I got goosebumps as his hands trailed across my back leaving fire behind.
"I know what that look was. I know where his hands were. I don't like him."

"Harry! Come on! Its nothing."

"Do you know how shitty it feels to come and visit you only to see that display of disgusting shit?"

My heart sank a little. I didn't want Harry to be mad. When I thought about it, it was touching that he came all this way to visit.

That's when I caught sight of her. Heather.
Anger seeped thick through my veins.

"I could say the same to you." I spat.

He leaned back. "You are confusing as hell."

I pointed to the bar where Heather was flashing some low cut cleavage in order to get a free drink.

"Why is she here?" Who even is she?"

"Who Heather? Leave it to you to get jealous over an old family friend."

"I'm not jealous."

His head through back in laughter. "Oh that's rich. So that face you're making and death eyes are your way of showing happiness?"

"Oh screw off Harry!" I pushed against his chest in dissatisfaction. My foot stepped back away from him and I turned on my four inch heel in order to put distance between us.

"Give it a break Ela. You know you love me." His chuckle only put my nerves on high alert. His smirk only wanted to make me punch a wall, no matter how incredibly hot it was.

"I'm getting a drink." I mumbled not caring if he heard me or not.

It took an entirety of fifteen minutes to reach the bar that was only twenty feet away from me. I lost count of the amount of times I was stopped to take a picture. I didn't mind though. I needed space and time to clear my mind of all things Harry.

"What can I get you Miss Cunningham?"
A wickid grin accompanied the bartender as he grabbed a glass and leaned closer to me in order to hear.

"Something hard."

His grin grew as he reached for the liqour on the top shelf. Bartenders always try and get me to pay for the top liquor. Tonight though, I didn't even care.

"Nice dress." A voice dripping sarcasm pervaded the space of my left ear.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Heather was here. I forgot.

"Not in the mood Heather." I spitted her name out with venom.

"A simple thank you would do but alright."
"Here you go little lady. " The baretneder slide the drink across the wooden bar etched with scratches and sweat.

"Well, nice seeing you. I guess." I shrugged my shoulders ready to get the hell out.

"Leaving so soon?" Her eyebrows raised in knowing annoyance as she viewed me up and down.

"Why are you such a bitch to me?" I was laying it all out now. Not holding back anything was what needed to be done.

I was a bit surprised when the smirk fell from her face only to be replaced with a look of sadness.

"I care about him."

I slammed the drink down. "You care about him? Or you're in love with him? Either way its not fair to take your crap out in me because he doesn't feel the same-"

She pinched her nose and squeezed her eyes. Her curls bounced as she shook her head.

"I'm not in love with him Ela. I love him but not like that."

"Then what the hell are you so pissed at me for!"

"Can't you see how you destroy him? He just starts to get his footing back and then you show up and ruin him again. Can't you see how it affects him"

For the most part I was blocking out every word that came out of Heathers mouth. But for some reason I heard her. In more ways than one.

I stuttered out a strew of inaudible words that I couldn't piece together.

"You only screw up his happiness. You're chipping away at him and you think I'm the bad guy for looking out for him. I'm his best friend. Of course I'd look out for him."

Her words stung like a bitchslap to the face. She was right. So right. Its like she doused me with a coat of guilt and shame. My insides felt like puking every drink I just gulped down.

"Look, I know you don't want to hurt him. That's why I'm asking you, if you really love him, stay away. This isn't a personal disliking of you or any hatred I have for you, although it may seem like it. I'm just looking out for Harry okay?"

I felt tears at my eyes. All along I was pinning Heather as enemy number one. But really, I was the enemy. Her words were so true. I was destroying Harry. Turning my head to view his pissed off demeanor and clenched jaw only verified this whole conversation.

"You're right."

Heather looked briefly shocked.

"God you're so right." I laughed awkwardly and sadly. She suddenly looked uncomfortable. "Jesus. I fuck up everything. Everything and everyone!"

My head hurt and my eyes stung as makeup and tears met.

"I dont- I don't know what to say to that." Heather seemed out of place. She wasn't prepared nor expected a sudden breakdown.

I turned to her angry. "You're not supposed to say anything Heather." I snapped.

She straightened her shoulders. Right as she was about to speak a cut her off.

"Don't say a word of this to Harry. I want to end this right by myself. Without him thinking you had any part. Let me do this my way."

A smug but yet approving smirk graced her features.

"Okay Cunningham. You got it."