Forty-two

"Actually, I'm not even surprised."

Alexa's pov

"Excuse me?" I scoffed in disbelief.

"You heard me! Why would you do that?" She responded, emotions almost palpable.

"El, calm down. You know I have nothing going on with harry-" I was cut short with Ela, yet again interrupting.

"Don't even go there Alexa! I saw the texts! I heard you guys that day recording! You two are always off having these secret talks!" Her anger was now fading. I could tell by the way her voice cracked in the middle of her monologue.

I was left speechless at her accusation. All of them were false.

"Ela I don't know what you think is going on, but I can assure you, nothing of that sort is happening." I spoke calmly trying to defuse the situation.

"Alexa I don't even know how to properly function right now. I'm lost. Why does harry feel the need to come and talk to you about all our problems? You two have this secret bond or whatever the hell you want to call it, and you both leave me in the dust."

Movement from the corner of my eyes startled me. I had almost forgot Niall was here. I watched as he rose from his position on the bed to stand, quite ackwardly.

"No both of you listen. Every conversation over text, and pretty much in person too, has been about you Ela! I would never, ever do that! Not to you and not to you either Niall."

I felt slightly relieved as Niall smiled over at me. "I know Alexa. You have nothing to prove to me."

"No! That's not good enough for me Alexa! Your my best friend! Not his! But all you two can do is go talk behind my back. I feel like the third wheel in my own fucking relationship!" She threw her hands up exasperatedly.

"Ela, please I never wanted I hurt your feelings. I was only trying to help." I attempted soothing her with my true feelings.

"The only help provided was him kicking me out of his apartment! He told me he loved me than just kicks me out! What the fuck am I supposed to do? Or even think?"

Left startled at the newfound information I silently screamed praise at Niall when he took over.

He turned to Ela suddenly, shoving her head into his armpit. Even though the situation was tense, I couldn't help but stifle a laugh at the scene in front of me.

"Listen Ela! Harry loves you! I already told you this once you butthead! Harry doesn't know how to handle situations that are really important to him when they don't go as planned. Just give him some time. I bet in a couple hours he'll be here and you two will be going at it in the next room.Now cut the crap and let her pack!"

He playfully scolded her. Whatever approach he taked seemed to work. Ela was quickly distracted.

"Pack? What for?" Her voice muffled through Niall's shirt.

"Ireland!" I gushed happily. My enthusiasm made it all worth it as Niall slightly released his grip on Ela to take a moment to smile over at me.

"Get off of me you oaf." Ela sighed as she nudged Niall a bit.

"Ireland huh? Meeting the folks?" She raised an eyebrow waiting for my response.

I smiled as a blush accoompanied my face for a response.

"Well..have fun with that then." She clipped back.

"Ela wait..do you still want to talk about this whole Harry thing? Honostly nothing is happening. I know for a fact he really does love you-" I paused from folding some clothing to look over at her.