Fourty-four

"But no matter how long it was, it didn't last long enough."

Alexa's pov

It was my end of my time spent here in Ireland and to be honest it was bitter sweet. I was really looking forward to Japan, but at the same time, Ireland was one of the best times I've ever experienced.

I've had crowds of people screaming my name. Millions voting and rooting for me. And more people supporting me to even count. But never, have I ever felt so accepted and genuinely loved by people other than my family.

Niall's family had treated me like one of their own. The countless hours spent just talking were sure to be some of my favorite memories. Just being so carefree was one of the best parts.

"Alexa?" I knock sounded at the door.

From the feminine voice I had grown accustomed to, I knew immediately it was Maura.

"Come in." I shouted loud enough that my echo would travel through the thick wood.

Moments later the door was pushed open slightly as she poked her head in.

"All packed up?" Her mouth turned up on one side as she displayed a sad smile.

"Just about actually. Niall on the other hand.." I trailed off. Maura immediately picked up on my joke, her too realizing all of Niall's belongings were scatter about the house.

"I thought I taught him better than that!" She joked as she took a seat on the bed.

"At least his manners are decent. We can count on him for that." I said joining her as I mimicked her position.

"Did you enjoy your time here?"

I nodded enthusiastically, not being able to put into words how well spent my time was here.

"I'm so glad Alexa."

I had a feeling she wasn't only talking about me enjoying my time in Ireland.

"I'm so glad he found you." She whispered, tears forming at her eyes.

"Mrs. Horan, I-" I began but was interrupted as she butted in.

"Maura. Remember we've discussed this! Call me Maura honey!" She chimed happily.

"Right Maura..Maura!" I said jokingly whacking my head. I took a deep breath before starting again.

"Maura, I can't put into action how much this trip has meant to me. Honestly it's been amazing." I gushed hoping she would pick up on how true my feelings were shining through.

The only reply I received was a hug. As she wrapped her arms around me, I could see where how Niall picked up on the same gesture. His hugs were the equivalent to hers. Warm and inviting.

"Come back soon, okay?" she whispered before pulling away and standing up.

"Of course."

Silently she maneuvered out of the small room.

"Oh Niall! You scared me. How long have you been out there?" I heard Maura say from the hallwall.

My cheeks flushed, slightly embarrassed that Niall quite possibly heard the whole conversation between his mom and I.

Too distracted from my embarrassment to eavesdrop on their conversation, I jumped as Niall entered the room.

"Hi." He whispered. His appearance looking clean from a fresh shower.

Suddenly overcome with emotion I lunged from my position on the bed, straight into his arms.

"Hi." I whispered into his check as his arms wrapped around me.

"Ma really loves you, ya know?" He spoke softly, rubbing his hand against the curve of my back.

"I love her too." I relaxed into his hold.

I don't know how long we stood there. But no matter how long it was, it didn't last long enough.

"We better get going. You have to get to Japan." I picked up on his solemn tone as he withdrew from our hold, grabbing my luggage.

"Okay." I softly touched his cheek, silently telling him I understood his reasoning to be upset.

"I'll finish packing my stuff, and then were off." He said over his shoulder as he exited the room.

I took one last look at my surroundings.

"I'll be back."

I promised not only Maura prior, but now, myself too.

***

Maura's pov

"You fucking suck at this game." I huffed, throwing a jenga wood piece across the table at Ela.

"How's that "guys I'm giving up swearing for real this time" thing playing out for you?" Erin pointed over at me from her sprawled out position on the couch.

"Fucking fantastic." I grinned over at her before returning my attention back to the game and solemn looking Ela in front of me.

"Why the shitty face?" I pressed on.

Ela rolled her eyes. "I just, didn't want to leave Japan without talking to him, but too late now.. Oh well." She shrugged, picking up the game pieces and reassembling them.

"I wouldn't worry too much about it Ela." I did feel a bit sorry for her. She looked like she could be on a fricking hallmark card for depression.

"Yeah, I guess." She sighed deeply before staring out the jet window.

"Want me to call Zane? Maybe he can do something to-" I suggested but was crudely cut off.

"No! No please. I don't want anyone else to get involved or say anything." Her sentence was rushed and desperate.

"Okay, Jesus crust cool your tits."

"I mean but come on! How is it fair! You and Zane have such a great relationship too. It seems like Harry and I fight more than all of you combined!" She slammed her fists down, causing the jenga pieces to wobble slightly.

I eyes the wooden tower, making sure no pieces were going to drop before I helped the struggling girl out.

"Ela. First off, all couples fight. Second off, you and Harry butt heads because your so much alike and are filled with this deep feelings towards each other, that you both have a hard time controlling. And third, face it babe, you come with a lot of baggage that you need to work on." I gave it to her straight.

"Like what?" she asked normally. She knew as well as I did the amount of baggage she hauled with her.

"You have trust issues, parent issues, and drug issues."

"Had. Had drug issues. Had slight drug issues. Which was fixed immediately." She bit back twice as fast.

"I know El. You don't have to defend yourself to me. But I'm guessing Harry doesn't really know any of this?" I questioned already knowing the answer.

"I haven't gotten that far yet." She huffed leaning against the leather seat behind her.

"Well I think you should tell him all that. Don't skip any of the shitty details either. Sooner than later too."

She nodded, taking in all I said. I smiled feeling accomplished at myself.

"Hey how many more hours do we have on this thing?" Erin barked shoving her toe in my direction.

"Get that ugly foot, or whatever you call it, away from me. Oh and we have like nine more hours left." I saluted her before turning my attention back to the game.

"Your on Cunningham." I burrowed my eyes to slits.

"Suck it crazy." She bit back.

Good. Hopefully I can get Ela out of this funk before we land.