Forty

"How could you do this to me?

Ela's POV

"Why does it matter, Harry? Do you have something to hide?" I snarl as I stand up from the bed.

"Fortunately, no. Believe it or not I'm actually a trustworthy boyfriend." he snaps back at me.

"Then why the fuck are you texting Alexa?" I shove the phone in his face.

The phone's light illuminates his face, which has completely dropped into a stone facade.

"Why, Harry? What the heck?!" I am practically screaming as vivid distinguished images of all things bad surface my brain.

"Why are you so angry? She is your best friend!!! Do you honestly think I would go for her? Do you honestly think she would do that to you?" he says.

"Why am I angry?! You constantly are talking to her in hushed tones. You constantly are asking her for advice on me. And you always go to her for all our problems! This is supposed to be our relationship! For all I know, you could be making moves on her!" I yell back at him, hoping he finally realizes my issues with this.

"Alexa and I are friends. She only helps me when I have no one else to turn to."

My heart cracked.

"Really? No one else to turn to? Are you fucking kidding me?!" My eyes start to brim over with tears.

I thought I was always there for him. Always. For him to say he can never turn to me takes the wind out from under me. Especially when I thought I could always go to him for anything.

"Ela, that's not what I meant. I try to come to you with our problems. Alexa is just the second hand judgement to tell me if I'm being stupid and should makeup with you and how to!" he tells me.

"So basically all fights of ours she decides if we make up? Then she tells you told you how to fix them?" I scoff in total disbelief. "So that night you gave me the bracelet, she picked that out didn't she? She told you how to win my heart?" I asked him, scared for the answer.

They say everything changes in an instant and currently I was feeling the full effect of that.

"NO! Oh my gosh! That was all me. I'm telling you. Alexa has only helped me on two things. THATS IT." He yells trying to get his point across.

"Then, what does this text mean?" I showed him the text.

He looked at it, and I watched all the color drain from his cheeks. My suspicions were confirmed. He is going to break up with me.

"How could you do this to me? How could you just break up with me?! You know what? Go fucking talk to Alexa about it!" I threw his phone sending it twirling and landing with a soft thud against the bed. An angry sound that resembled a sob drew from my breath as I hastily skidded over to the door and out of that room.

Alexa knew he was going to end it. And here she was telling me he loved me. How could I be such an idiot?!

That's why he was buttering me up with those cheesy compliments and a cute breakfast. He wanted to let me down easily. Get his sex and then send me on my way.

I couldn't even fathom that Alexa, my best friend and band mate, did this to me. How dare she pretend we are friends and pull this!

I stormed away to the front door after quickly stumbling to throw whatever pants I could find on, and started to strap on my boots. I needed to get out here fast.

"Ela, why the fuck are you leaving?" Harry storms in still carrying the tray of cold eggs and bacon. They once looked appetizing. Now, the thought of eating them makes me want to throw up.

"Harry, why couldn't you just tell me you wanted to end it? Instead of getting Alexa involved? Why does she always have to be involved?" I cried.

Harry gritted his teeth and all in one motion he smashed the silver platter onto the ground. The ruckus caused my whole body to shake with fear. The food he had spent so much time and effort on now lay destroyed amongst broken plates.

"ELA, I WAS ASKING ALEXA FOR ADVICE BECAUSE I WANTED TO FUCKING TELL YOU IM IN LOVE WITH YOU!" Harry shouted at me so loud, the entire complex could hear him.

"What?" My heart swelled up like a big air balloon and popped into a million tiny pieces of latex.

"I didn't know when the right time to tell you would be. Before or after Japan." Harry ran his fingers through his hair, a sign he is nervous and exasperated.

"I.. I.. I just needed to tell you how madly in love I am with you. And I wanted to do it. To do it right." Harry muttered.

I opened and closed my mouth. Here I thought he was breaking up with me and now, I find out that it's the exact opposite.

"Harry. I love you too." I whispered before I could even think. Because the truth was, I didn't need to think it. I could feel it.

"But obviously not enough. You don't even have enough trust in me that you go through my phone! Plus, you thought I was trying to get with Alexa!" He spat with such brokenness.

"Harry, that's not what I was trying to do..I just saw the screen and jumped to conclusions-"

"Well, it hurt. I don't know why you don't trust me. I am not Kendall." He growled.

"Don't! I know that!" I snapped. The mention of him ruined this whole situation all over again. "I am just insecure, and you know that!" I explained.

"Yeah." He sighed. "I know." He kicked the tray of scattered eggs and walked away back into his room.

I stood at his front door with a tear streamed face, dirty tshirt, heeled boots, and a shriveled heart. Harry just told me he loved me but now neither of us can enjoy this special moment. I ruined it. Like I ruin everything.

Harry walked back into the kitchen with my black dress, purse, phone, and bracelet. His hands shook as he handed all my belongings. I could tell he was trying to hold back tears after our battle.

"I think you should go." he said completely monotone while avoiding my eyes.

I didn't think my stomach could drop anymore, but here it goes. Feeling like a punch straight to the gut.

"Harry-"

However, he cut me off and met his lips to mine. The sudden embrace caught me off guard. We went from fighting to this in seconds, which sent my mind into a whirlwind.

Just as quick as he kissed me, he pulled away. Silently he opened the door behind me.

I was left confused and just plain hurt at his rejection. He regretted it. He regretted telling me, me the complete fuck up, that he loved me. Big suprise there.

"I'll see you soon." Harry said staring at the ground.

I wanted to fight back and fix this confusing mess, but when he wouldn't even look at me, I knew this couldn't happen right now.

I walked out of Harry's apartment thinking about what just happened, but I couldn't piece everything together. All I felt was pain. Pain and the sting of rejection.

First, he is secretly texting Alexa. Then I find out it was about the big saying, "I love you." Next he told me to leave, but then he kissed me. But, he still wanted me out of his house?

My feelings were a jumbled mess and nothing seemed to be going right. The only thing kept playing through my head was him loving me.

I don't know if he was being honest or it was the heat of the moment, but either way he said it out loud. He said it to me.

As I reach the elevator, I look back to Harry's door, where he is standing there watching me with sad eyes. When our eyes meet, he looks away and shuts his door, all the while my head is pounding as tears fill my eyes for real this time.