Twenty-One

"No need to get short with me."

Alexa's pov

After we watched the video, I couldn't stop thinking about it! The director was absolutely brilliant and created an amazing video for us. It also helped that the boys enjoyed it!

I felt so happy that Niall wasn't mad about that stupid kiss. I'm glad he knows how to trust me.

Kind. Caring. Loyal. Understanding.

What more could I ask for. He really seemed to be my perfect Prince Charming.

I couldn't help but keep a smile plastered on my face for the rest of the week.

Today Ela and I have to run into Melinda's. Melinda periodically had small meeting to discuss her ideas with us, and when Melinda calls a meeting, you drop everything and go.

"I always thought Mick was a douche. Even when you guys were dating." Ela told me after I explained to her why I was so distant and forlorn about the kiss with him.

"I know..I know.. He can be nice sometimes.." I trailed off trying to take the high road. I couldn't bash Mick. He honestly didn't do anything wrong.

"Seriously, he was a controlling, full of himself and walked all over you." Ela continued on as we stepped inside the sleek silver elevator.

I rolled my eyes as Ela blabbed on. Although her babbling about how I was stupid for dating him was annoying, she was right. Fortunately, I broke up with him and stopped that nonsense.

I sighed and pressed the 7th floor button as the doors silently closed.

"Thank you, by the way, for taking that kiss. I didn't need anymore drama with Harry." Ela spoke sincerely.

I turned to her smiling. "Your welcome Ela."

"Your like the glue of this band, you know that?" She piped up. I thought about it for a moment. I never noticed that until now.

I smiled, chuckling "I guess I kinda am."

As the doors opened I came face to face with the figure that seemed to be haunting me throughout the week.

"Mick?" I questioned confused.

"Oh hey.." Mick said awkwardly shuffling his feet. I watched as he peered his head around us trying to escape to the safety confinement of the elevator.

"Why are you here?" I asked him, blatantly confused why he would be at Melinda's office.

"Well, I was just.." Mick stares at the ground and swished his hair to cover his face. His hair has always been so long, but I never tried to see him cover his chiseled chin with it.

"Your face!" Ela gasped as she studied his right eye. When he looked up at us, a deep shade of blue mixed with a tint of purple coated his anxious looking eyes.

"Oh, it's nothing!" Mick swatted away Ela's hand like it was burning him.

"Look I gotta go. I just came for my paycheck, so I'll see you around!" He rushed trying to sidestep past Ela.

"Hold up!" she stopped him by stretching her arm out in front of him, blocking his path.

I know Ela wanted answers just as badly as I did, but he would never spill with her around.

"Ela, Melinda will be mad if we are late. Go in there to soothe her boiling nerves." I joked with Ela hoping she would get my hint.

"Fine."

She sulked off into the glass office filled with different employees and copy machines.

Once she was out of sight, I turned back to my beat-up ex.

"Mick. Explain." I pressed the subject on with a demanding stare.

"I fell." He shrugged, inching his way further towards the elevator.

"Bullshit." I spat grabbing his arm.

He flinched away from my gentle hands but quickly recovered.

"No really! I swear! I fell!" He said this time fully breaking my hand from his arm. I watched as his stoved and swollen finger rapidly repeated pressing the elevator button.

"Fell? On your eye?" I questioned, not believing his story.

"Drop it." He turned around this time angrily. I could tell in the way he was acting this wasn't just a little trip and fall.

"Sorry, I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I didn't get to tell you good job on the video. It looks great."

"Yeah, I know."

"No need to get short with me." I said with a pouting face.

"I can get as short as I want. It doesn't even matter to you. My eye is fine. Maybe I should get away from you so that th.. Never mind I have to go." he turned around to the elevator buttons.

"Mick, what were you going to say?" I gently asked.

"Nothing. I said never mind for a reason... Where's this fucking elevator?" He spat at the ground.

Mick never uses vulgar language. Unless, he is at breaking point, which I sense is coming soon.

"Mick, come on. Did I do something wrong? Why are you so bitter?" I gently touched his shoulder, and he slowly turns around.

"Alexa, this is hard for you to understand because everyone loves you. I am trying to stay from you so I don't get more hurt. Please if you will, let me go, and I will speak to you later."

Right as he ended, the elevator opened like a movie scene.

"Look thanks for the career start. A lot of people want to see me now. Appreciate it. See ya another time."

And with that he stepped into the elevator.

I silently watched as the doors shut completely.

Mick doesn't want to get hurt, which crushes me. I feel bad that he still had feelings for me, and I don't mean to hurt him when I talk about Niall. I know he hasn't moved on yet, but he will.

I just hope his eye heals. I'm also curious where that black eye is actually from.