Sixty-eight

"Let her save herself."

Alexa's POV

This was a bad idea. A really bad idea. Because you know its a bad idea if you can actually feel the tension in the room. Cut it with a knife? No, you need a fricking chain saw to plow through this muck.

"I'm really glad you came Alexa."

That was the fourth time Niall told me that in the span of the fifteen terribly horrendously ackward minutes  I've been here.

I just smile back this time. I came because..Because I wanted to. I couldn't really explain it to myself. I could only explain the fact that I wanted to.

"I hate how weird this is." I blurted out.

Niall's face fell for moment, but he masked it quickly. "I don't want it to be."

I shook me head. "Me either."

"Do you believe me?"

Wow..Straight to the deep stuff. My stomach lurched.

"I don't know Niall. I really don't know."

I could see the his thoughts moving like clockwork, trying to grasp for the right response. He took a moment before he spoke.

"I have never given you a reason to ever doubt me before. "

Shit. I never thought of that.

"I mean come on Alexa..We barely fought! I mean-" suddenly his face burst out in a full blown grin as he expelled a burst of air, "we were so happy. That was the happiest I think I've ever been in my life."

An amalgam of a million different feelings surfaced with his words. But I couldn't pinpoint any of them.

"I was happy too Niall. Really happy."

"Then why are you letting this bump in the road totally ruin that?"

"I trusted you with everything. I feel like all that trust was just based off a lie. I feel like the lines have blurred and I don't really know how you are feeling."

"How I'm feeling is miserable. Absolute shit all the time. I just- this whole thing Is such a colossal misunderstanding. I didn't even realize what I signed- what it meant till after I had signed the thing and they explained its purpose. I thought I was signing a mutual agreement, that you were also signing that just said we'd get to know each other, with talk and shit about publicity crap later. That's all. It was never this big ploy to scheme and milk you for your money and fame."

Oh.

That did seem to make...some sense.

"Why didn't you tell me that before?"

He threw his hands up in exasperation. "When was I supposed to? You pushed me away and blocked me from every account!"

I couldn't help but giggle. I was overcome with pure giddiness for some stupid reason.

"Okay okay I admit that-"

And I froze.

"What was that?" I asked panicked stricken from the terrible shattering from inside the house.

Was someone trying to break in? Did someone break a window? Was there some scary burglar ready to pounce on us?

I looked to Niall prepared to see him looking just as shaken as me but he looked totally unfazed.