Seventeen

"Someone just cracked the beautiful scale."

Alexa's POV

The Children's Benefit dinner is going pretty well. The kids and families are absolutely amazing and extremely inspiring.

"Alexa, may I have a picture with you?" I turned around from a family I was talking with to meet a petite girl leaning on a walker.

She was so frail and young. It broke my heart. Her eyes were precious diamonds and her smile was infectious, but it was the way she was holding herself together that made me melt the most.

"Of course! What is your name?"

I leaned down next to her.

"My name is Alex. It is kind of like your name!" She said with pure excitement.

"You're right! We have sort of matching names."

The kids around this building are extremely strong. It is something about Alex's fight that makes me intrigued.

I put my arm around her, and we took the picture.

"Thank you, Alexa." she smiled looking at the new photo.

"No problem, Alex." Before I could say anything else, she stopped me.

"You know, Alexa. I want to be just like you when I grow up. When I make it to my older years, I hope to see you again." She hugged me and scurried away on her walker.

Only if Ela was here. It is those comments that make us forget all the hate that happened. It is those things that make us happy with our job when times get rough.

"Someone just cracked the beautiful scale."

I look away from Alex as she walks away.

In front of me, there is prince charming. His hair is perfectly styled equipped with the perfect amount of gel, and his suit fits every piece of his body like a glove.

"Niall, you spoil me too much. I mean look at you. You cracked the handsome scale even more." I tell him with a quick peck on the cheek.

His cheeks fill with a deep rose color. The music turns from a casual pop song to a classical waltz tune.

"Alexa, would you company me to a dance?" Niall asked me with a deep bow and quirky smile.

"Prince Niall, I would be-" I am about to take him out to the ballroom floor when I'm completely cut off.

"I can't stand Ela."

Harry slouches down into the chair and takes a big swig of pure red wine. Either him or Ela seem to always ruin the most perfect moments I have with Niall.

"Niall, I am going to talk to him. I will be one second!"

Niall glumly nods his head but perks up as soon as I left a little kiss on his nose.

I pull a chair next to my depressed client ready for an outpour.

"Tell me what happened ole' chap."

"Ela first tells me how much she wants to be with me! She kisses me all the time! Then I bring up our title. It's a simple title, Boyfriend and Girlfriend. The one title I haven't given a girl since primary school. I know it's fast, but I want to be with her so much! If I don't stop her now, she will be ripped away." Harry spills out.

"Harry, Ela likes you a lot! The only reason the title isn't there is due to a douche bag named Kendall. He has ruined her, as you know. Now, your fans are ruining her with their hate. That's why she said that! Not because she didn't wanna be tied down!"

Harry stops moping as soon as I tell him the truth.

"Wait, my fans are hurting her?"

I give him a slight nod. He grits his teeth, getting ready for an explosion.

"Harry, your fans are harmless. Ela is just unstable right now. Please go talk to her." I give him pleading eyes and a puppy dog face.

"Fine." he groans and heads for the door.

As soon as Harry leaves, I feel a slight nudge.

"My lady."

Niall holds his hands out like a royal king ready for a dance.

"Let's dance, my prince."

Ela POV

The blowup with Harry had my mind on overdrive. I could barely take a picture with someone without almost cracking. I needed a quick step outside, and that's what I intended on doing.

The breeze felt nice on my bare shoulders. California's weather was always beautiful.

"Ela." I could recognize that voice anywhere.

"Harry, please. Not two fights in one night." Before I can protest anymore, he shoves a tiny wrapped box at me.

"I was going to give you this when I asked you to be my girlfriend, but since you don't want titles, I'll do without."

I look at his face, but he is staring right at the ground. He runs his fingers through his hair and brushes dust off his jacket. He is becoming increasingly impatient with me not opening the box.

I take the little ribbon off the top and peel each corner away to reveal a small jewelry box. It was a brand I couldn't recognize, but I was still so excited.

Opening the black velvet box, there was a golden chain inside. On the chain was five different charms.

"Each charm represents you." Harry explained still looking at the ground.

One charm was just the word "Gorgeous." There was also a star and music note. My name was also on there, but my favorite charm was a sparkly pink heart dangling right at the clasp.

This bracelet wasn't expensive at all. You could tell it was hand constructed from the different charm consistency. Too much wear on the bracelet would cause it to fall apart, but it was the best gift anyone has given me.

"Why did you do this?"

"I wanted to show you how much I actually care about you. I wanted you to be my girlfriend for awhile now. Even before I knew you." he finished in such a whisper.

"Well, get over here and clasp it."

His eyes shot up to meet mine. I nod him over. His childish smirk starts to come out as he fumbles with the chain.

Once it is fully secure, I take another glance at it. I throw my arms around his neck and hug him so tight.

I can feel his whole body tense up, but slowly, his nerves subdue.

"Harry, this is the best gift a Boyfriend could ever get me?"

"Wait, does that mean.."

"Of courses, Harry. I'll be your girlfriend."