Eighty-Three

"Was that me or someone else?"

Ela's pov

Melinda's wedding was tomorrow. So much had happened in the time span up to now that it felt surreal.

A knock at the door was heard.

"I got it." I yelled to Muara. Currently we were the only two home. All the girls took a break from the tour but Maura and I flew back half a day early to do a few errands for Melinda.

"Hi."

When I opened the door to the penthouse I was only expecting the Chinese takeout man to greet me. Instead Harry squeezed through.

"You get a new job or something?" Maura appeared and shouldered me roughly grabbed the food off of Harry. I prayed one day shed forgive all the guys.

He grimaced. "No, no just caught the guy on the way up."

I nodded, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. He looked tired. Tired and worn out. His jacket once hugged his defined shoulders, now it just hung limply on him.

He cleared his throat catching the tension too.

"So how much do I owe then?" I moved to the kitchen area and grabbed the money Maura and I had set aside. Sixty bucks for two girls buying Chinese. I guess it all depends on the location where we live.

"My treat." He smiled and shoved his hands in his pockets.

I started to shake my head but Maura intervened directly at that moment. "Least you can do."

I closed my eyes at how terribly awkward this was going.

Thankfully Harry moved on. His finger wiggled their way out of his pocket and reached for his inside jacket pocket now.

"I actually came to bring you something." His eyes skimmed over me, indicating whatever he was gripping was something he wanted me to like.

"Oh?" I nodded. My heart leaped forward. He came to see me. He was here. For me. Harry was here.

"Yeah." He breathed, flashing me a quick smile.

I intently watched as he pulled out a lanky price of fabric, brightly colored and artistically decorated.

Breaking my rule of getting close to Harry, I scuffled over to him to get a closer look at whatever he was holding.

"It's a headband. This little girl in Ghana was wearing one, and I thought you might like one so, I just, well I asked her to make one. For you."

A smile ghosted across my lips as I reached for the fabric. The soft but thick swatch almost reminded me of the night sky, filled with stars and so expansive that it could promise you anything.

"I don't know, you don't have to wear it or anything I just thought that, you might- I don't know, like I said it's stupid."

"I love it." I tentatively took the fabric off him and flipped it back and forth between my hands.

That seemed to give him a shot of courage. "I picked the colors."

I giggled once. "My favorites. Thank you Harry."

Maura tutted in disapproval.

I almost forgot about her still hogging down Chinese in the kitchen.

"You went to Ghana?"

A small nod and a sad smile was brought to his lips.

"Yes, I uhm. I needed to clear my head and I,well I love it there. I needed to feel some good in my life."