Sixty-four

"That doesn't add up though.
It couldn't be."

Alexa's pov

"Well here goes nothing. I don't know if I should hope for the win or pray against it."

Lauren whispered into my ear. She sat on my right as we neared the end of the agonizingly long award show. We are almost done with it and it was time for our category: Song of the year. Of course I wanted to win. I was hoping for it. But I could side with Lauren because winning the award would mean going on stage with One Direction, which would mean contact with them... Which would also mean going backstage with them...

I refused to look in their direction the whole night. I forced myself to pretend like they weren't there. It hardly worked though. Okay, it didn't work at all.

Just keep thinking of happy thoughts Alexa.. Don't look over there... Who cares.. You do. But you don't. Well you shouldn't.

"Alexa!"

"Who? What?" I snapped out of my daze to be confronted with Lauren pulling my arm.

"We won. Let's go." She plastered on a smile and waved to the camera, making her way up stage in killer heels. I followed suit, hoping no one noticed my mess up.

Hugs and claps are all that was seen and heard. Then came the moment I dreaded, Niall.

He smiled sheepishly over at me, from three feet away, holding out his arms. I wanted to give him the not so nice finger and tell him some places to shove it, but I knew right now it was crucial for me to make it look real. So I plastered on an even bigger smile and leaped into his arms.

His scent engulfed me in a framiliar rush of comfort. I exhaled and immediately felt my muscles relax into his hold.

This is wrong.

I quickly stepped away from his hold. His face fell but he quickly masked it and smile his Niall smile to the camera.

I realized too what had happened during the hug. Everyone was stepped back, waiting for me to make the thank you/acceptance speech.

They all look to me because I was the one to always give the speeches and I had one planned out and I thought for sure I'd be able to do it with ease with. But standing on stage made me feel weak right now and all the words I fought so hard with to write we are now lost in the haze.

And just like that the words were gone.

Goddamnit! Screw Niall and his relaxation hugs!

My eyes met all of the girls furiously and violently hoping they would catch on. I preyed someone, anyone, would step up and take the mic. It was becoming obvious now.

"It never ceases to amaze me or anyone up on this stage what support really means. You are the only group of people who really understands that. "

Applause filled the surrounding as people cheered on Ela...? I was shocked. She was the last person I thought would step up.

"So thank you so much for this." The volume only increased as Ela took a big smile and waved. I thought she was done. Everyone did. She swayed, ready to turn but instead her fingers gripped the microphone stand and she stayed. I turned to my band mates in confusion, but they seemed as lost as I was.

"I think- I think..." She swallowed. I grew nervous watching Ela become nervous. I followed her movements and felt even worse for her when she immediately went to her wrist where Harry's bracelet was. I remember her yanking it off sometime after the contract came out. Now she just nervously twisted an empty wrist.

"When you tell the truth, you create a bond with someone. People ask us why Baseline...and uhm One Direction..they ask how we've achieved so much success. You can try and spin it however way you want but I believe, along with the rest of my band, that we've achieved so much success because we're honest. We've created a bond with our fans unlike anyone else's because tell the truth."

And I knew Ela was speaking from the heart, but I Also knew this was all the bottled up crap Ela was keeping inside. This speech although true, was a direct message to the boys. My eyes nervously trailed up along to become locked with Niall's.

"I love you." He mouthed so innocently. My stomach lurched and my heart beat ten times faster than any being up on stage could do. It hurt that I knew he was lying, despite what he said about it not being a lie, there was no way it could be. I managed a fake smile back. Here Ela was talking about how truthful we are and I was keeping up with this fake charade in front of millions of people.

Elas POV

I had no idea where it came from but the words wouldn't stop. I knew this speech was more about the boys, particularly Harry, but that's what made it even more rewarding. Knowing he was two feet away from me, forced to listen to how I felt. And it felt good. So good.

So I gave it everything I had and let it hit home.

"When that bond is created, its truely  magical because than you feel comfortable. We are so blessed to have that comfort and be able to share our deepest feelings with you. What's really amazing though is the trust behind it. You can't get anywhere without trust. Once its broken its gone for good. And can't have trust without the truth. Learned that the hard way."

I stepped back. My final word were said and an air of peace settled around me, like a bubble. I waved a final thank you and sighed in relief as we all took a step back sway from the mic, ready to exit stage. Until Harry stepped up.

"While I agree with the most beautiful woman in the world here, I'd like to share some thoughts too."

The crowd never seemed so loud.

Why did I let my heart skip a beat at his words? Why do I still let him have this effect on me? I've spent so much of my effort blocking him out for it to get destroyed with one sideways smile and a compliment.

"All of those things my Ela said are true, so very true. But I think what's truely spectacular is your forgiveness. You fans are so understanding with every step we take. You've been there through thick and thin and you allow us to mess up, knowing its unintentional and knowing we'd never ever try and bring you down along the way. That bond is special. What makes it so special to me though, is the love behind it. So thanks for this. Thanks to you fans, my band mates, Baseline, and my dearest Ela. I love you."

With that the crowd went bat shit insane. The award suddenly felt so heavy inside my hand. That nice peace that settled around me suddenly burst like a bubble as Harry's hand reached out for me.

My mind was screaming don't let him in Ela! Smile, kiss his cheek and move on so no one suspects. But I couldn't. And I allowed him to grab my unoccupied hand and let him tug me into his chest, kissing my forehead as we exited the stage as one large group. All the while my tears were threatening to overflow like a pent up dam.

Cameras of all sorts pressed closer in on us as we manuervered through hallways backstage. The whole time Harry only pressing me closer to his side. Maybe so I wouldn't get lost among the paps or maybe to put on the show of fake dating. But it felt like something more. Almost like he knew it was the last time and felt bad, sorry, scared??

That doesn't add up though.

It couldn't be.