Fifty-six

"Holy shit."

Alexa's pov

"Turn right on Crein Road." I told Niall as I glanced down at my navigation app on my phone.

Shortly after a sharp right turn was made, we arrive at the random address Niall and I planned to go to.

"Wow." Niall said, completely unasmused.

I raised my eyebrows at the sight in front of me.

"So of all the places to go on the beach, this address led us to an aboandaned shack." I stated the obvious, shaking my head at the run down and tired looking shack.

"Is that, is that a possum on the window seal?" Niall squinted his eyes before pointing in the direction of the lower left window.

I giggled a bit.

"I think it is."

I turned my head in confusions as Niall unbuckled his seatbelt and went to open his door.

"Uhm what are you doing sir?"

He looked at my as if I asked him what color the sky was.

"Checking out the shack. Come on!" He winked over at me before jumping out of the car.

"Wait! Niall! This shack is a total safety hazard!" My eyes went wide as I screeched out to him. Moments later my car door was opened by a smiling Niall.

"Come on scardy pants. You can hold my hand if you want?" He leaned over me, unbuckling the seatbelt.

"But- but the possum!" I shook my head, desperately trying to grab onto a reason for us not to go into the shack.

"The possum is five times smaller than you. I think we'll be ok." He pecked my cheek before grabbing both my hands and hoisting me out of my seat.

"You calling me fat Horan?" I played, raising one eyebrow over at him.

"Course I am." He winked before playfully swatting my butt and running off in the direction of the shack.

"Niall!" I screeched through giggles. Giving up I ran after him.

As we approached the house I took in the dilapidated siding and broken windows.

"You made us run over here to get a better look at this junk shack?" I pointed my thumb at the building.

"I don't know about you, but I love it. I say we get new windows, give it some paint, say yellow, and fix the place up to call it our own. You could plant some flowers out front, spice it up." He chuckled.

But I wasn't chuckling. His banter about fixing up this house, all in humor, said much more than a joke about home improvement.

Niall thought about our future. He thought about us. He thought about me. It was evident from his speech that he envisioned us in a quaint house, where we could grow old together. Me, planting flowers and him apparently working on the windows.

Noticing my lack of laughter or even lack of response for that matter, Niall ackwardly coughed and took to rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. A rock was kicked from under his toe.

"Hey we can ditch this place. It was just-" he started but I interrupted him.

"I want a porch. Like a big wrap around porch. But it has to have a gate! I wouldn't want the kids to fall and get hurt you see." I beamed over at him.

Just as I had done prior, Niall remained silent. I took his small genuine smile as a positive response at my words.

Quietly he strolled over to me. Coming from behind me he wrapped his arms around my waist. I leaned back into his hold as we both stared at the poor excuse for a house in front of us.