C h a p t e r 17

Chapter 17 : CalebWednesday, July 21st, 2021

Chapter 17 : Caleb
Wednesday, July 21st, 2021

Something is extremely off right now, and even I can't figure it out.

Madelyn's so-called dad is named Tobias Lee Adams, and ever since I saw those tears falling down her cheeks yesterday, I've used every source available to find this man.

Something is very very off, because as far as the world knows, Tobias Adams doesn't even exist.

Under other circumstances, this wouldn't have been a huge deal. Lord knows I've seen crazier things happen, but what I can't wrap my head around, is that there is no trace of either of Madelyn's parents ever being born.

No birth certificate, no social media, nothing.

I doubt Madelyn is aware of this, and in all honesty, I'm not sure I want her to.

Yesterday, once the tears staining her face ceased, she sat down and told me a lot about her father. How he went missing, and how she was sure this was his way of saying he was safe without revealing himself to the many enemies he's made over the years.

But I don't know how to tell Madelyn that her parents have been lying about their identity to her her entire life.

I could see how just one smell brought her the peace of mind she's been searching for during the last six months of her life.

I don't want to be the one to take that away from her, especially if I can figure out what the hell is going on first.

Xavier didn't say anything when I told him about this discovery and Alec simply provided his two cents where he could.

There were much better sources higher up, but we can't risk Xavier's dad finding out about Madelyn or her family.

I'm quickly growing protective of her, and it is becoming a dangerous weakness for me. For all of us.

I can tell Alec has become attached especially.

Madelyn was asleep during this conversation, but after Alec put her in one of our guestrooms a few nights ago, we had the realest conversation we've ever had.

It was short, but he said he was scared. I've never once heard Alec Sawyer admit he was fearful about something until that night.

When I asked what he was afraid of, he merely responded, "To feel again."

That was the end of our conversation, but I saw in his eyes the relentless emotion battling inside of his head.

Madelyn had kissed him, and I know he didn't take that lightly.

None of us did, which is why I'm so intent on trying to figure out this puzzle for her.

Madelyn made it very clear her concern was never that her father left, but the possibility of him never returning.