C h a p t e r 57

Sexual Content Warning ⚠️

Chapter 57 : MadelynTuesday, August 17th, 2021

Tuesday, August 17th, 2021

"You honestly didn't have to do this." I insisted as Xavier continued his work on making a homemade meal for me.

When he said we were doing dinner before our plans tonight, I hadn't expected all of this effort to be put into it, especially when I was currently useless.

"Sit." He gives me a half smile, knowing it was killing me that he wouldn't let me do anything, even simple tasks like setting the table or cleaning up dishes.

I always felt weird when it came to people doing things for me when I couldn't offer anything in return. Only right now I could, yet Xavier insists on doing all of the work.

Maybe his birthday cake was so awful he didn't want the risk of me setting foot in his kitchen ever again.

The thought was mainly a joke, but I'd be horrified if it were true nonetheless.

"Can I at least set the table?" I offer, flicking my eyes over the neatly rolled sleeves of his shirt and the way his hands were currently preparing a light garden salad. It was a side addition to go with the burgers he was grilling on some special stovetop meant for indoor barbecuing.

This time at my words, Xavier's gaze met mine. While he placed down the knife that was once chopping a head of lettuce, my heart sped a little quicker as he fully turned towards me.

"I'm trying to cook a nice meal for you so you can relax after what I'm sure was a long day of work, yet you can't sit still." Xavier says, amusement filling his tone as he speaks.

"Placing down a few plates isn't going to be the end of me." I argue with a raise of my eyebrow, my one hand resting comfortably on my hip as I leaned my lower back against the counter.

"No?" He asks almost in challenge, instant confusion-fueled regret filling me from a single word.

I tilted my head as Xavier took a step towards me, then another and another until I learned that he wasn't getting closer for me, but for the staircase behind.

"Fine. If you want to be useful then do me a favour and don't let the house burn down."

My mouth parted in disbelief as he shot me a wink, soon turning away from me to go upstairs for some unspoken reason.

He was leaving?

I wasn't even able to protest before I was left alone in his kitchen, food both on top and inside of the oven.

"No promises." I mumbled under my breath at his exit, looping around the counter and willing my stomach to stop growling at the delicious smell of food.

Don't burn down the house, I mentally scoffed to myself, moving to where the cutting boards were and grabbing the handle of a knife with the intent to finish what Xavier thinks I can't do.