C h a p t e r 77

A/N: This book is gradually coming to a close, however I plan to have a Q&A chapter at the very end to answer the most commonly asked questions I have. If you have any, please comment them here and I'll do my best to respond in the near future. Thank you <3

Chapter 77 : MadelynMonday, September 13th, 2021

Monday, September 13th, 2021

I can't breathe. My body won't let me breathe.

I can't think or talk or speak because I know the second I do something, I'm going to shatter. Hailey thought I already did, but she was very much wrong.

After what happened in Caleb's office yesterday, Xavier let me leave, but he refused to let me drive. I was pissed he had his driver take me home at the time, but looking back, I probably would've caused an accident considering the state I was in.

He didn't say anything to me as he opened the car door, but he didn't close it even once I was inside.

For a moment, he had just looked at me before tilting my chin up to meet his eyes. I didn't want to, but I did, hating to see his tears that mirrored mine.

"It's okay if you never forgive us—if you never want to speak to us again, but I will promise you this. Your father will not die, even with the past I've had with him."

I know that promise hurt him to say, and even if I didn't want it to, my heart still bled for him at the fact he was willing to give up years worth of work and resources because of me. The truth is that I was mad at my dad too. How can I even look at him again without remembering the way I held Xavier on the anniversary of his mother's death because he couldn't take it anymore?

I was caught in the middle of two incredibly horrible situations, but I did know this. If my dad—if Marcus Caddel intentionally murdered Xavier's mother out of revenge—I wouldn't speak to him again.

"Please close the door." I'd said quietly over my cries, but I knew he heard me.

The metal of the car soon became a physical barrier between us, but he listened. Now I was here, my hands gripping hard onto the bathroom counter as I stared at my reflection in the mirror.

My eyes were a bright green, even more prominent than usual because of the red puffiness of my face. My hair was frizzy from the way I brushed out all of the knots in anger just a few minutes ago, but the one thing I couldn't stop from seeing was the way I wouldn't stop pacing.

There was so much about this I still didn't understand, but the only people who could give me answers were the three people I refused to talk to. If it weren't for Hailey, I don't think I would even be functioning at all right now.

If you can call this functioning.

Alec has stopped texting me, but I knew Caleb was still outside. For what reason, however, I didn't know.