C h a p t e r 76

Chapter 76 : CalebMonday, September 13th, 2021

Chapter 76 : Caleb
Monday, September 13th, 2021

This was worse than any fate death could bring.

I felt her slipping away from us the second she saw that file, and again when she walked out the door crying with her hands wrapped around her stomach. We should have told her, but we waited too long. There's only us to blame for this, and fuck, to say we were paying the price was an understatement.

Losing Madelyn was the worst kind of pain I've ever experienced, but it was the fear that came with her absence that made it so much worse.

She was supposed to be safe in Costa Rica right now as a temporary vacation, the three of us planning on how to get around the assignment we're supposed to be religiously preparing for. Instead, I'm currently sitting outside of Hailey's house, tapping my foot nervously on the concrete step at the feeling of eyes of me.

I've felt them since I stayed here all throughout the night, neither Hailey nor Madelyn leaving the house once.

My instinct is very rarely wrong, but I've also never been more distracted and off balance than I am now. I wasn't here to plead for Madelyn's forgiveness, I was here to ensure her safety.

It was the least I could do at this point. Whatever Alec and Xavier were busying themselves with wasn't my problem.

So, I stayed where I was with strained eyes, my body cold from the night and my face swollen from the tears not even I could fight off from spilling.

I promised to respect Madelyn's space the second she chose to walk out our door, but I had no doubt Vincent was well aware of our... was it a break up?

The thought sent yet another wave of terror straight into the blood in my veins, however I couldn't allow myself to falter.

Vincent knows Madelyn's here, and I would rather die than have him lay an eye on her one more time—

Smash!

The sound of glass shattering into a million pieces had my heart stopping, the windows being the first thing that comes to mind.

I had people all over the property, but I wasn't about to chance wasting the time to circle the house. I went to the only thing I could think about, and that meant going in.

Finding the door locked when I tried the handle, I grabbed the key I had in my pocket as a precaution, not wasting a second before moving inside and drawing my gun.

It was eerily silent inside, but my quick scan of all of the windows proved them to be intact. Madelyn had a window in her room, though, and that knowledge terrified me.

"Leave her alone, Cal." A voice comes from the kitchen, my body spinning to find Hailey crouched on the floor with broken porcelain at her feet, the colourful designs of what used to be her glass in a pile of small pieces.