C h a p t e r 47

Chapter 47 : XavierMonday, August 9th, 2021

Chapter 47 : Xavier
Monday, August 9th, 2021

The truth is out, and now I must face the consequences of my actions.

I deserve everything I'm getting, but I was well aware of the repercussions that came along with my choices.

I will never apologize for them, though.

My lies are the only reason my Madelyn is breathing right now, even if she's using her breaths to run as far away from me as possible.

The emotion in my friends' eyes looks as though they wish to do the same, but I know they won't.

I hold the answers to all of this, but at the same time, I don't know a god damned thing.

"What?" Caleb flinched, taking a step back from me.

I didn't repeat myself because I knew he'd heard me just fine, and they were words I didn't wish to say again.

None of us wanted to accept the fact that the man who killed my mother and threatened to take everything away from us was the same person who raised our girl, but it was the harsh reality.

Is she still ours, though?

It was a thought I couldn't bear, so I simply refused to think about it.

I could feel my lip throb from the split cutting through the bottom, but I knew I earned it.

As I looked into the eyes of my two best friends, the second blow, this time from Caleb, displayed anger, but I knew on the inside they were mostly scared and confused.

Scared seems to be the only thing I'm capable of feeling right now, and it's a feeling that makes it hard to breathe.

I barely even winced as Caleb's fist connected with my stomach, but I took it.

When I forced myself to stop being a coward, I looked up to see the tears in their eyes matching mine, but we never let them fall.

For a moment, all we did was stand there, taking in the harsh truth none of us wanted to accept.

It was silent, but the words in their questioning eyes said everything.

"On the night we signed the contract with Madelyn, I got a phone call." I started.

My heart pounded against my chest as if trying to break free— to avoid the truth that was about to come out.

But I couldn't.

"I waited for her to fall asleep before leaving back to my room to take care of some things." I swallowed nervously, but forced myself to continue, "About an hour later, I received a phone call from Vincent saying that he'd found Marcus' weakness."

It was the idea we ourselves pitched to him the same day we met Madelyn.

I didn't have to say what that weakness was, because it was the same one all three of us now shared.