C h a p t e r 67

A/N: Hey everyone. This is just a friendly reminder to please be respectful in the comment sections. It's more than okay if you don't like my story, but it's not okay to write threats and other harmful things to both me and other users for the content I write. You don't like it, stop reading. It's that simple.

Content Warning: Mentions of both emotional and sexual abuse near the end of the chapter.

Chapter 67 : MadelynFriday, August 27th, 2021

Friday, August 27th, 2021

I don't know how I got to this point, but as my feet dragged across the crunch of fallen leaves, I set out to unlock yet another old memory.

I've been walking for the last twenty minutes into the forest my mom's house backs onto, encased in silence and my own thoughts as I approached an old barn-like structure that was even more damaged than I remembered it to be.

The place I trained in growing up had wooden boards coated in peeling red paint, ones that hung in awkward angles just like when my father and I found it years ago.

Snow made things difficult in the winter, but the holes made every other season useful, acting as light sources no matter the time of day.

I'd been trained in all kinds of different conditions as a child, but I remember spending endless hours of the nights with my feet light as they shuffled against the dirt ground of the barn, dodging strikes just to pivot and return them.

I feel as though this is the only part of my life here I would miss, but I think getting to see it one last time makes things easier to leave behind.

Sometimes you need to say goodbye to an old chapter to begin the sequel, and knowing who was waiting for me back home brought excitement over the sadness.

Every day since I left, I've been thinking about date ideas for the four of us and how I should tell them the way I feel.

On multiple occasions I've caught myself going over the words in my head, planning out the perfect way to string together those four letters that I can only hope they return.

I feel like I know them better than I do myself most times, and it's a little comforting in the sense it makes me feel safe.

I notice the way Caleb sometimes holds my hand just so he can run his thumb in small strokes against my skin, or how he'll play with my hair when he's bored.

Half of the time I swear he doesn't even know he's doing it.

And then, of course, there's Xavier who shows his emotions so clearly in his eyes, I can feel them holding me even when I'm across the room. Though I'm sure he'd deny it, I don't miss the small glances he always steals when I'm around, watching me even when I'm not doing anything interesting.

I used to take Xavier's silence for hostility, but it turns out it's simply the only way he knows how to portray things, something I've grown to love about him.