C h a p t e r 78

Chapter 78 : AlecMonday, September 13th, 2021

Chapter 78 : Alec
Monday, September 13th, 2021

Looking out at the night sky of New York, I couldn't believe how much of it was the same. The lights of the buildings were still aglow and the dark still brought a peaceful kind of quiet, but it felt like so much had changed for this one thing to remain so constant.

I was supposed to be asleep right now, but I simply couldn't, my mind too restless to allow me even a minute.

Madelyn was back, but not really.

She was distant and so sad. Watching her break apart in Caleb's arms earlier made me jealous for the first time in our relationship, because I've never wanted to hold her so badly.

She was in pain, and it was our fault.

Being overwhelmed in every way possible, I was on my own until the sound of soft footsteps made me suspect I wasn't the only one restlessly thinking about the things to come next.

Turning away from the railing of the first floor balcony, I found Madelyn standing quietly at the patio doors, waiting for permission to join me.

She would never have to ask, though. My answer would never change.

My nod was combined with a tired sigh, but I didn't wait to see if she would act on the action. I already knew she had when I felt the heat of her body move to my side, copying my position and resting her forearms against the glass fencing.

For what felt like forever, we were both quiet, staring out at the landscape yet fully attuned to the other's presence.

It was she who spoke first, because Madelyn was well aware my silence was me giving her the control as to where she wanted to take this.

If only either of us knew.

"I feel so small seeing the city like this." She says after some time, brushing back a piece of her hair behind her ear. Not turning my head purposely so I didn't have to see what she was thinking, I simply listened to the sound of each of her breaths.

We were so close right now her arm was flush against mine and that on its own had my heart racing in response.

"In a good or bad way?" I asked, my voice rough as I spoke.

It sounded as though my throat was raw from screaming, probably because it was. When I could see her shift in movement at the question, it caused me to brave looking over at her. When I did, I found Madelyn's eyes already on me.

My heart clenched in a way that was proof of how much I was hurting, but I still chose to keep that bit of distance between us. I didn't have the right to feel bad when I could've stopped it.

"I haven't decided yet." She admits, looking down at where our hands were nearly touching. The desire to go to her was strong, but I just don't think her mind was as ready as her heart was.