C h a p t e r 65

Sexual Content Warning ⚠️

Chapter 65 : MadelynTuesday, August 24th, 2021

Tuesday, August 24th, 2021

Nobody is here.

Alone for two days, there's been no sign of my mother or stepfather nor a call to explain the absence.

At first I was relieved, then furious, now nervous.

I was unsurprised when no one showed at the airport for my arrival, but when I walked into a cold, empty house an hour later, I found myself completely and utterly alone.

Their lack of attendance was both a blessing and a curse, but it at least allowed me time to become situated and overcome some of my mental barriers without the eyes of others around me.

I was especially thankful for it the first time I went into my room, when I dropped to my knees and cried until my eyes were swollen and my nose was stuffy. Now that forty-eight hours have passed, I'm able to bear the weight of it without breaking down.

Just barely, though.

As promised, I've called Caleb, Alec, and Xavier each day, already missing their small comforting gestures, their laughs, and simply everything that made them them.

The thought of simply leaving and going home has crossed my mind a thousand times, but if I don't say goodbye within the remaining five days I have here, I won't allow myself the opportunity to do it again.

Just being back is hard enough, and I don't think I'm willing to go through this for a second time just because my mother couldn't be bothered to show up for the visit she herself instigated.

Scrolling through my phone and opening the same app I had just closed for the third time in a row, I knew that boredom was eating away at my brain.

I was sick of this freezing house and the ugly feeling of it. I needed out.

Standing from the couch I was currently curled up on, also known as the makeshift bed I've created for myself, I grabbed my coat from the coffee table across from me.

It wasn't exactly cold outside, but it sure as hell wasn't warm either considering it was just past seven o'clock in the evening.

Glancing out the window at the still mostly bright sky, I decided against my warmer shoes in exchange for my much more comfortable runners.

All I wanted was a quick walk before I retreated back into my nightmares, slipping my phone and some money into my zipped pockets before moving out the door.

Like when I left many months ago, the lock was still in shit poor condition, a pathetic false sense of security on the outside of the house.

At this point, I honestly couldn't be more unbothered.