C h a p t e r 38

Chapter 38 : MadelynFriday, August 6th, 2021

Friday, August 6th, 2021

Finding Xavier at my doorstep last night was a surprise I never would have expected.

I can still smell the faint scent of his aftershave on the pillow beside me, but unsurprisingly, I woke up today with the other side of my bed cold.

***

I faintly hear the sound of the front door closing rather harshly and when my head snaps up from my pillow, I find that it's just past 11:00pm.

Hailey's muffled voice comes from the other side of my bedroom, and just as I contemplate going out to see who it is, two soft knocks come from my door.

"Come in." I quietly say, exhausted from being woken up from my sleep.

The hairs on the back of my neck begin to rise as the door slowly opens, and while it's dark, the silhouette of the man standing against the frame instantly causes recognition and confusion to pass through my mind.

"Xavier?" I say, moving to sit up in bed as he moves from the doorway and closes it behind him with a soft thud, "Hey, are you alright?"

Concern from his unexpected arrival appears in my head.

"Sorry." Is the only word that falls from his mouth causing me to furrow my eyebrows in the dark.

Using my elbow to prop myself up, I find myself unsure of what to say.

Xavier makes the first step though, pulling off his t-shirt without another word and tossing it onto the reading chair to his left.

My head is a little foggy from sleep still as he takes slow steps towards me, but I know it's not desire in the reflection of his eyes right now.

It's something else I can't pin, so instead, I offer the next best thing.

Reaching behind me and lifting the duvet cover, I silently offer for him to get in beside me.

Slight hesitancy crosses his features before he takes another handful of steps, looping around to the other side of the bed.

He doesn't touch me, but I can still feel the slight shake in his muscles as he moves in beside me, laying so his eyes are gazing up at the ceiling.

What's going on?

"Xavier?" I ask after a silent pause between us, looking over my shoulder to find the conflicted man now looking at me.

He doesn't seem like himself right now, but I want to try to help in any way I can.

"Can I... can I just hold you? Just for a little while?" He asks, and something inside of me breaks a little for him.