imagine #28 : damon

imagine damon being there for you when you wake up as a vampire

When you took that one deep breath as a sign of waking up, you felt something you had never before experienced. Immense anger bubbling inside you, but at the same time powerful sadness and disappointment took you over as big emotional waves. And still, you couldn't put the pieces back together and understand why you were feeling this way. You had no memories of last night, you didn't remember what had happened, you had no idea where you were or why. Everything was just a big blur, a messy puzzle with no first pieces, a book with empty pages and nothing to begin from. 

"Y/N, thank God!", you heard from your other side and whenever you managed to open your heavy, aching eyes, you saw Damon and felt the familiar feeling of love sneak into you. But the smile that appeared to your lips soon turned upside down. Damon was in tears of some kind, and the expression on his face was mixture of sorrow and regret. But the fact that you were there, alive and awake, caused a spark of hope and happiness in his beautiful eyes that no longer gleamed with the usual playfulness and his cheeky grin was long gone, as well. It caused heavy concern in you.

"Damon, what is it?", you asked, and surprised Damon and even yourself with your weak, hoarse voice. You cleared your throat and it turned into a series of coughs, but you didn't feel sick. In fact, you felt better than ever, healthier than ever, greater than you had in a long time. Different, though, so something had happened. Yet you could not understand what was it.

Damon wiped his eyes and with his trembling hands, he took your cold ones and held them as he put on a weak, though apparently fake smile. "I'm sorry", he whispered, and made you realize that this was serious. You had never seen Damon so heartbroken, so fragile and sad. You caressed his cheek, and he chuckled softly and with fondness as he glanced at your hand that gently touched his perfect face. 

Then he carefully scratched your arm, but enough to make a visible mark there. You looked at it, confused, but when you saw how your skin healed and turned back to perfection, it hit you. Truth hit you. You understood what had happened - you were a vampire now. 

You started to cry, and as much as you wanted to stop, you couldn't. You were emotional, more than ever now, and the tears kept flooding no matter how you tried to stop them from streaming down on your face and falling to your now shaking hands.

"I was too selfish, I could not let you go. You were pretty much dead already, Y/N, and I was too selfish to let you die in peace. I gave you my blood and it is my fault you're in this situation now. I know I don't deserve your forgiveness. I know I shouldn't have done it. I know, I know, but... I'm sorry", Damon started to explain, every word hitting you straight to the heart that wasn't beating anymore. 

"We'll get through this, I promise. I love you", Damon whispered to your ear after pulling you into a hug that you allowed him to give you.

Of course you would get through it. Of course you would forgive him. Because as a vampire, forever, was real and you couldn't spend an eternity hating on Damon. You loved him. Even though you didn't originally want to be a vampire, you were here now and you wanted to be grateful to Damon for giving you another shot at life, and you tried to think about the positive sides. You were a vampire, and you were going to get over it. You were going to, you promised to yourself, and to Damon.