It Should've Been Me

Travis's POV:

My sword clashed against the razor sharp teeth of a hellhound as it tried to snap and bite me. I quickly pushed it back and stabbed my sword right through its head as it disintegrated into gold dust. I looked over to see Connor fighting off two furies flying above him with his bow, not quite able to get his aim right. He's still suffering from a bad concussion he got at work so I can imagine that he can't focus clearly. I ran to his aid and snatched his bow from him, stealing 2 arrows from his quiver as I shot them both at the same time. Each fury screeched and disintegrated into gold dust as I looked at Connor, giving him a sheepish smile as he rolled his eyes and snatched his bow back. "I had that handled, you know." He said as I laughed and shook my head. "Clearly." I responded as he grabbed an arrow and suddenly shot it right past my head, hitting the cyclops coming right at me from behind in the leg. "Told you." He said with a smile as I laughed and spun around, stabbing the cyclops right in the stomach as he disappeared into gold dust. I suddenly heard a familiar grunt and looked up the hill to see my wife completely surrounded by empousai as they slowly inched their way closer to her. She kept spinning, watching each and every one of them as they snarled and tried to scratch at her. "Connor, let's go!! Katie needs us!" I yelled frantically to my brother as he nodded and we ran up the hill.

Connor's POV:

"Connor, let's go!! Katie needs us!" Travis yelled as I looked up and saw my sister-in-law completely surrounded. I nodded as we bolted up the hill and we dashed in-between 2 empousai, coming right up behind Katie and covering her back as she covered ours. "Took you long enough." She said as we circled with our weapons held up, looking at Travis as he smiled at her. "Oh, come on now! This is the earliest I've ever been late!" My brother said in protest as Katie giggled, nudging him with her elbow as an empousa suddenly leaped at Katie. She quickly pushed us away from her as she was tackled by it and the others came at us.  I shot the one closest to me as two others came up at my sides and I dodged, allowing them to run right into each other as I took an arrow and shot. It sliced right through both of them as I looked at Katie and saw her holding the empousa on top of her up with her sword. It kept scratching at her as I quickly pulled an another arrow and shot it right in the heart, dusting Katie with gold powder as she coughed. "Thanks." She said with a raspy voice as I laughed and pulled her to her feet. I heard a grunt with a bit of pain and immediately felt like something was off, looking towards Travis as he killed the last empousa. His eyes were wide with fear as he turned towards us, lifting his hand to show us the crimson red stain on his shirt that was growing by the second. Everything went in slow motion as his eyes slipped shut and he dropped his sword, it hitting the ground as he began to collapse. "NOOOOOOO!!!" Katie screamed in agony as her knees buckled and I ran to her, wrapping my arms around her in attempt to catch her as we both hit the ground on our knees. Vines suddenly burst out of the ground everywhere around us and killed every monster within a 10 foot radius as Katie's uncontrollable sobs rang out throughout camp.  I held her close for a moment till she mustered enough strength to claw herself to her feet and she ran towards Travis. She immediately dropped to his side as she sobbed and she pulled him to her chest, holding him close as Will rushed over and dropped down on the other side of Travis. "WILL, YOU NEED TO FIX HIM!!" She screamed in pain as he examined the wound and yelled for his brother to come over. "Katie, I need you to back up. We need to see what were dealing with." Will told her calmly as his brother Tommy ran up to assist Will. "No!! I'm not leaving him!" She sobbed, holding on to him even tighter as Will looked at me for help and I nodded. "Come on Katie. They need space so they can save him." I told her as I placed a hand on her shoulder and she quickly shrugged it off, pushing me away as I stumbled back. "NO!!! I refuse to leave his side!!!" She yelled, wiping her tears as Tommy and Will looked at each other and then back at me. I nodded, knowing that they needed her out of the way so I swiftly wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her away as she began fighting me. "NO CONNOR!!!! LET ME GO RIGHT NOW!!!!" Katie screamed as I pulled her away and she fought against my hold with everything in her. "IT SHOULDVE BEEN ME!!! IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ME!!!! HE WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE OUT HERE!!!" She screamed hysterically, referring to the fact that he was supposed to stay in the Hermes cabin with the twins and all the other kids here during this surprise attack. "Sedate her." I heard Will say to Tommy in a hushed tone as Tommy nodded and pulled a syringe from his kit. He approached us as I tried to hold Katie still but she continued thrashing her arms and kicking her legs up attempting to break free. When Tommy got close enough, I swiftly repositioned myself so my arms pinned her arms against her body and Tommy grabbed her wrist. "NO!!! DON'T YOU EVEN-" She yelled as Tommy gently inserted the needle into her vein and injected her with the sedative. "What? What's happening to...." Katie said in a drowsy voice as she went limp in my arms and I watched Will load Travis onto a stretcher. Him and Tommy picked him up and made their way towards the infirmary as I followed closely behind with Katie somewhat still conscious in my arms. "Travis..." She said weakly, reaching for him in front of us as her arm fell and her eyes finally slipped shut. 

a few hours later.......

Katie's POV:

I heard low whispers as I slowly began to regain consciousness and stirred around in my infirmary bed, feeling weight on my right hand as I slowly began to open my eyes. Light brightly shone in my eyes as they fluttered open and I squinted, looking down to see Travis's hand in mine as looked over at him and saw him breathing steadily while he slept. I let out a sigh of relief and thanked the gods in my head as I looked to the other side of me, spotting Connor slouched on the couch with one child sleeping on each side of him as he held them and brushed his fingers through their hair. "Katie!!" He said excitedly and accidently startled my kids as they began to wake up, sitting up as they rubbed their eyes and looked at me. "Mommy!" Landon said excitedly in a hushed voice as both children climbed down from the couch and ran over to my bed side. Connor quickly got up and lifted them each up onto my bed so they could be with me. "Hey baby." I said as they both climbed on top of me and I kissed their foreheads. "Is daddy going to be ok?" Daisy asked me with concern in her voice as I looked at Connor for reassurance and he shook his head yes. "Yeah baby, he's gonna be just fine. He just needs some rest." I told her quietly as she nodded and they both laid their heads on my chest, snuggling with me as I wrapped my arms around them. "What did Will say?" I asked Connor when the kids finally fell asleep again and he pulled up a chair on the other side of Travis. "Will said he's going to be perfectly fine. He has to stay here for a few days while the wound heals but he's been stable for the past few hours so he's going to make it." He told me as I smiled and felt a few tears brimming in my eyes. "It should've been me." I whispered as a tear fell and he began shaking his head. "No Katie, you have to stop blaming yourself. You could've left him home in NYC and he still would've followed you here for this battle. He'll follow you into any battle. That's what true love is. He may have almost died today but you walked out of the battle without a scratch and that's what mattered most to him. The moment he woke up from the surgery, the first thing he wanted to know was where you were and if you were ok. Hell, he wouldn't settle down and rest until he was right here next to you with your hand in his. It would've killed him if you were the one laying here fatally injured and not him. He wouldn't be able to live with himself." Connor said as I looked at him with surprise, wondering how long he's been waiting to get that off his chest. I nodded, accepting the fact that there was nothing I could've done to prevent this from happening no matter how hard I would've tried to save him. All that matters now is that we won the battle, our children are here in my arms safe, and he fought his hardest to survive for all of us....for me. I lifted his hand to my lips as I kissed it, letting my final tears fall as I succumbed to the exhaustion and let my eyes slip shut once more.