Training with Persephone

Persephone's POV:

"Come on Katie, give it your best shot."

Who knew trying to train a 13 year old girl how to use her powers would be so hard? I can't believe this is what my mother chose for me to be doing for the 6 months I'm free from my ghastly kingdom: training the most hard headed, stubborn child I've ever met. I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree. Mom insisted I take this week for one-on-one time with Katie while she runs an errand back in Olympus. She wants Katie to be able to train all the others when it comes time for them to learn as well. Spending time with my new little sisters hasn't been so bad...an adjustment but not bad.

"Sephie, I don't think I'm cut out for this. I haven't grown anything since I arrived here and that was barely me. I just got lucky." Katie told me, crossing her arms at the in-tact dummy in front of her. "Oh, come on...it's just one dummy. You haven't even tried yet. All you have to do is listen. Listen to the wind blowing in the trees. Feel the movement. Grab natures attention and make it listen to you. Bend it to do your biding. You are in charge and it will listen to you." Katie looks at me and sighs, raising her hands up like I showed her earlier this week. She closes her eyes and I can see concentration setting in until one very specific obnoxious voice spoke out from the other corner on our side of the training arena. "Yeah Katie-Kat, you got this." The young Hermes boy mocks with a high voice as I glare at him intensely and his voice causes Katie brows to furrow in frustration. "That's enough out of you." She snaps at him and suddenly, a couple vines shot from the ground at the feet of the dummy. I guess she's still mad at him after he filled her shoes with glue this morning. I glance at her vines and raise an eyebrow, looking back at Travis as he blows a raspberry at us. So emotion is her trigger......

"Wow, there you go Kates! You did something!" I encourage her as she tears her eyes from the cute Hermes kid and looks down at her work. "I could've done better if SOMEONE would mind his own business." She shoots at her friend (I think) who distracted her. I glance once more at Travis and he is laughing at her feeble attempt of destroying the dummy. "Yeah, you definitely did something there. Are your little vines gonna save us when Kronos comes for us all?" I watch Katies face as it begins to turn beet red, then I turn my attention and watch her vines, intrigued to know if anger was one of her triggers. Sure enough, the moment she looks at Travis, they grow a little more. "If you don't shut up-" She starts walking towards him but I quickly snake an arm around her stomach and I stop her from going any further. "Ok little miss, that's enough for now. Go get a snack, cool off, recharge, and meet me back here in 20 minutes. Got me?" I ask as she glares at me and shoves my arm away. I watch her stomp off out of the arena and I whip my head back at Travis. "Don't you go anywhere, Mr. Stoll. I need to talk to you."

>>>>>20 MINUTES LATER>>>>>

"Ah, right on time. Let's pick up where you left off." I tell Katie as she returns from her break. I left her vines right where they were so she won't have to start all over again. "I have so many better things I could be doing right now. This is stupid." She responds and I laugh at her, shaking my head in disbelief. "Katie Marie, I am spending my 6 months out of the underworld here with you and the rest of our sisters to prepare you for quests and the inevitable war coming in a couple years. I promise, once you get it, the rest of it comes flooding in. This is the hardest part. Once you got it, you got it."

She gives me a look and rolls her eyes, clearly unhappy with her recent failure. It's hard to keep patience with her sometimes but I have to remind myself that she's only a kid and the leadership of her cabin sits on her shoulders. If she doesn't succeed, then the rest of them won't either and our mother will be right back where she started before Katie arrived here. Childless and miserable. "Okay, fine."

I back up as Katie raises her hands to the dummy, trying to regain the attention of the vines she's already grown. She squeezes her eyes shut, attempting to block out all the distractions and I glance over at Travis. I nod and give a thumbs up, receiving a nod in return and he flies up with his winged shoes from his father. I watch with a raised eyebrow as Katie's vine finally begins to grow again when all of a sudden, a water balloon comes out of nowhere and hits her square in the back. She gasps and her eyes shoot open, glowing bright green with fury and she whips her head back at the floating Stoll boy behind her. He launches his other balloon and nails her right in the face. I gasp myself and step back, trying my best to hide my laugh from her.

"What's the matter, Katie-Kat? Scared of a little water?" It takes her a moment to register what's going on but when she does, I swear the water evaporates off her face as she turns bright red with a mix of embarrassment and anger. Her eyes continue to glow in a way I've never seen before and vines suddenly shoot up from the ground beneath Travis. I watch in amazement as they wrap around his feet and I notice Katies fingers curled up at her sides to keep control of them. My jaw unhinges itself as the vines whip Travis around in the air, just enough to scare him till he comes flying full speed towards the ground. I act swiftly and with a single thought, vines of my own erupt from beneath the dirt and catch him 2 feet from getting all his face smashed in on the ground. "Woah woah woah, eeeaaaasy. Easy." I soothe my sister as I step in front of her and kneel down to her level. I place my hands on her shoulders and watch as her glowing, angry eyes soften and slowly dim back down to their natural emerald green. She looks at Travis and lets him go from her gasp, allowing just my vines to hold him up and I set him back down.

"Katie, I swear Persephone asked me to do this. I didn't even want to at first, I promise." He quickly pleads, clearly shaken up from her unexpected outburst and Katie quickly looks at me with a glare. "Hey, it worked, did it not? Did you see what you just did?" I ask my little sister and she looks over at her dummy. Without even having to close her eyes, she raises her hand and the vines creep up the whole dummy. When it is wrapped enough, she closes her fist and her vines tighten on the wooden dummy till she blows it to splinters. My jaw drops once more and Travis and I quickly take a step back from her, assuming she is still angry with us. "Remind me to leave her alone till she gains better control of her powers." He whispers to me and takes off running towards the door to get out of her reach. She looks at me with a smirk and I smile at her.

"You forgive me?" She nods and her smirk turns into a wild smile of excitement. "You should be very proud of yourself. That was incredible. And you scared Travis enough that I'm positive he'll leave you alone for awhile." I tell her and she laughs, looking towards the door of the arena as Travis runs out it. "Not a chance..." She says as a light blush creeps on her face and she turns from me to hide it. "Katie Gardner, do you have a crush on the infamous Travis Stoll!?!?!?" I asks like an excited teenager and she quickly looks at me, shaking her head violently. "Ew, are you crazy? He's so annoying and loud and obnoxious and never leaves me alone." Her blush grows even brighter at the thought of him and I start laughing. "You so do!!! I can't believe I didn't see it earlier!!! You guys are totally getting married. Mark my words, I'm calling it now!!" Her eyes shoot daggers at me and I feel her try to use her power on me below the earth but whatever she's trying to use against me can't reach me. "You might have a better understanding of your power now but I'm still stronger than you, little girl. You still have a very long way to go till you'll be as strong as I am but I can promise you one thing: you WILL be one of strongest warriors this place has ever seen. I can feel it."

You may even grow to be stronger than me one day...