Kara Berns

Katie's POV:

"Katie, Travis! She went off in that direction! You've got to catch her before she hurts herself or gets killed!" Chiron told us frantically as we reached the edge of the barrier by the entrance of camp. "Wait, who are you talking about? Who ran away?" I asked, having no idea what was going on because we were on border patrol before Chiron began shouting for us. "Kara Berns, the new girl that arrived 2 days ago. Her powers spooked her and she took off because she nearly burnt down the armory on accident. You've got to find her before monsters find her." He informed us as we nodded and ran off in the direction he was pointing in. Even though Travis is much faster than me, he had to run at my pace because the forest would clear a path for me as we ran being a daughter of Demeter and all. We continued running till we heard a sudden high pitch scream come from our right and we skidded to a stop, looking towards a clearing to see Kara on the ground crawling backwards as a cyclops towered over her. "No!" I yelled and ran forward with absolutely no plan as I placed my hand on the hilt of my sword. The cyclops raised his club as I emerged from the woods and ran towards them, pulling my sword out as I threw myself in between them. 

Travis' POV:

"Katie, no!" I yelled as Katie ran into the clearing, pulling out her sword as she threw herself in between the cyclops and Kara. The club came down as Katie blocked it with her sword and held it up with both hands. "Kara, hide!" She grunted as the club broke her sword and knocked her to the ground, giving Kara time to get up and back away. "No!" I yelled as the cyclops raised his club again, coming down as Katie created an "X" with her arms in front of her chest and vines suddenly shot up. They caught the club inches above her and wrapped around it, pulling it from the cyclops hands and launching it somewhere far away from here as he roared in anger. Katie quickly scrambled to her feet and the cyclops raised his foot to step on her as I bolted in her direction. I quickly tackled her, wrapping my arms around her and putting a hand on the back of her head to protect her as the huge foot came crashing to the ground. We rolled across the forest floor as I tightened my grip around Katie and stopped as the cyclops looked at us in fury. I held Katie close as the cyclops made his way towards us and Katie buried her head in my chest, clutching my shirt as I kept an arm around her head so she was comfortable. The cyclops raised his foot at us as Katie whimpered but Kara suddenly appeared in front of us. "Kara, move!" I yelled as she looked back at me and shook her head no.

Kara's POV:

"Kara, move!" Travis shouted at me as I looked back at him and Katie, shaking my head no. I looked back at the cyclops and he stared back at me with a questionable look, putting his foot down as I flipped my right hand with my palm up. I concentrated for a second and to my surprise, a fireball that I had control over began growing in the palm of my hand. Every other time I've tried has always ended badly by burning something down or nearly getting someone killed. I smirked at the cyclops as his eyes grew wide and I threw the fire ball at his chest. I watched as it hit his shirt and it engulfed into flames, causing him to roar in pain and fury as I helped Katie and Travis up. "Nice job! Now let's get a move on." Katie said, placing a hand on my shoulder as I nodded in agreement and we began running towards camp. Katie ran in front so the forest would clear a path as Travis and I ran right on her tail. We continued running till we spotted Chiron waiting for us at the entrance of camp. We ran through the barrier and came to a stop as Chiron smiled at Katie and Travis. "Thank you Katie and Travis. You have done good work." He told them as they smiled and nodded. "Now you, Ms. Berns-" He started but I cut him off. "Chiron, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to run off! I just got scared when I accidentally caught the armory on fire and nearly killed the campers inside. I'm a danger here and I didn't want to put anyone else in danger." I explained as Chirons facial expression softened and he placed a hand on my shoulder. "Kara, that's why you're here. You're here to train and learn how to control your powers. The kids here have been trained to deal with powers like yours. They can handle themselves and you are no danger here. I promise." Chiron told me as I smiled, nodding as the dinner bell began to ring. "Sweet! I don't know about you guys but I'm starving!" Travis said excitedly as we laughed and they began walking towards the mess hall. "Go on." Chiron said as I nodded and caught up with Travis and Katie. "Don't worry about anything Kara. We'll be here with you ever step of the way till you master your powers!" Katie chirped up as I looked at her and smiled. "Thank you so much! I'm just worried about almost burning down another building." I told her shyly and she laughed as we reached the mess hall. "Most of the buildings here are fire proof because of the Hephaestus kids so you shouldn't worry about it!" She told me as I nodded and she led me to the dinner line. After chatting with Katie and Travis for a few minutes, I suddenly got a weird feeling as I began glowing orange and a hologram image of a flame appeared above my head. "Oh my gods." Katie breathed out as people looked in our direction and gasped, beginning to whisper as Chiron walked in. "What's going on?" I asked Katie as Chiron spotted me and gasped himself, clearing his throat as he trotted over to me. "Well, this is a first ever here at Camp Half-Blood but all hail Kara Berns, daughter of Hestia." He stated, raising my arm up as the campers began clapping slowly but unsure on how to respond. "I thought Hestia was one of the virgin goddesses." Travis stated as I looked at him weirdly and the fire in the fireplace in the back of the room suddenly exploded into bigger flames. The campers nearby backed up in fear as the flames began to take the form of a human and a beautiful woman suddenly appeared, allowing the fire to return to normal as everyone began kneeling to her except for me because I had no idea what was happening.

 The campers nearby backed up in fear as the flames began to take the form of a human and a beautiful woman suddenly appeared, allowing the fire to return to normal as everyone began kneeling to her except for me because I had no idea what was hap...

She scanned the room till her eyes made contact with mine, a warm smile spreading across her face as she made her way towards me and campers began standing up again. I stood there frozen till she was right in front of me and a bunch of campers around us backed up. "My beautiful baby girl." She said and placed her abnormally warm hand on my cheek as I smiled, tears threatening to fall. "Mom?" I whimpered as she nodded and I laughed, tears falling as she wrapped her arms around me and held me close. "I've missed you so much. The day Zeus made me give you to your father was the hardest day of my life. Now you're old enough to come home with me." She told me as we broke apart and she wiped my tears. "Really? I can come home with you now?" I asked as she smiled and nodded. "My brother wanted you to have a normal childhood so he said if I let you live in the mortal world for the first 13 years of your life then you can come home with me and care for the hearth with me." She told me as I smiled but then I frowned. "I'm 15 now so you mean to tell me I could've came home 2 years ago?" I asked her as a sad expression flashed her face and she nodded. "I couldn't see you through the mist so I didn't even know if you were alive. It wasn't until the moment you crossed the barrier that I knew you were alive and safe." She told me as I smiled and nodded. "If you don't mind me saying, Lady Hestia, I thought you vowed to stay a virgin." Chiron commented as my mother smiled at him. "I don't mind at all but I vowed to never marry. I said I would remain a virgin because both Poseidon and Apollo wanted to marry me but now that they've both been over me for thousands of years, I snuck out of Olympus one night and came back a week later pregnant because caring for the hearth on my own has gotten really lonely and I wished for nothing else but a child to have at my side." My mother informed him as she smiled at me and kissed my forehead. "Now I'm here to take my daughter home so we can care for the hearth together and make up for lost time. I will teach her how to use her powers and Ares has offered to train her in combat since he's been itching to do some training and fighting. " My mom said as Chiron chuckled and nodded in approval. "Now let's go home." My mom finished as she began walking back towards the fireplace. I looked at Katie and Travis as they smiled back at me with wide smiles. "Thanks for saving me today. I might've not had this chance right now if it weren't for you." I told them as they nodded and Katie placed a hand on my shoulder. "No problem hun. Now go on. You've been away from home long enough." Katie said as I nodded and looked back to see my mom waiting patiently for me by the fireplace. "Promise you'll stop in the next time you're in Olympus?" I asked as they both laughed and nodded. "You got it kid!" Travis responded as I smiled and turned towards my mom, joining her at the fireplace as she grabbed my hand.

Katie's POV:

Everyone watched as Kara joined her mom at the fireplace and Hestia grabbed her hand, giving her a reassuring nod as the flames began roaring to life and grew. We watched as they walked into the flames and completely vanished, allowing the flames to return to their normal size as everyone returned to what they were doing before. "We really can't have a normal day, can we?" Travis asked as I looked at him, laughing as I grabbed his hand. "Not with the lives we live, my dear." I told him as I kissed his cheek and he chuckled, grabbing trays for us so we could finally collect our dinner.