The Evidence

Miranda's POV:

"Katie, I really think you should stay in bed today and take it easy. You don't look very good." I stand with my hands on my hips as my deathly-pale older sister stands at our front door and waves everyone out of the cabin to the mess hall for breakfast. "I'll....I'll be fine. We have lots of work to do today in the fields." I give her the mom look identical to our mothers and follow her out of the cabin after it's clear. "And that's all fine and dandy but we can do it ourselves. We'll get it all done today with or without your help. Please go back to bed." I beg one last time but she shakes her head in protest and I groan in frustration, throwing my hands up. This is going to end very, very badly.

Travis's POV:

I look up from my bowl of fruit loops and spot the first of the flower girls entering the mess hall for breakfast. Knowing their counselor had to be somewhere behind them, I eat a little faster because one place I DON'T want to be right now is where Katie Gardner is located. I've had enough of her stuck-up attitude for the week and I am not dealing with it this morning. Katie appears at the end of the train with Miranda on her tail and I can tell that something is off with her, not that I care because I'm leaving after these last two bites. I continue to glare at her from my table, taking note of her messy hair and face drained of color. From here, it looks like she can barely walk so why the Hades is she here and not in bed? Actually, I don't care. I'm minding my own business today.

I tear my eyes from her to finish my last bites as she inspects todays options for breakfast, only grabbing a banana from the fruit bowl. She has to pass my table to get to hers so I quickly stand up and head to the trash can in the middle of the aisle splitting the room up. I try my best to avoid her striking eyes and throw my disposable bowl out, turning to go towards the door when I hear her speak barely a whisper. I look behind me to see her stopped a couple feet from me on the other side of the trash can, yet I'm close enough to see her trembling as she looks to her sister next to her. "M-miranda? I don't-t feel so-" The banana slips from Katie's hand and her legs begin to give out underneath of her as Miranda shrieks her name, dropping her tray to catch her but I'm faster. 

Even from a couple feet away, I beat Miranda and I snake an arm around Katie's waist as she goes limp against my body. My heart rate spikes and heat rushes to my face as I wrap my other arm around her waist, looking down at her beautiful yet weirdly pale face. Her eyes open again and I steady her on her feet but she clings to me to stay upright. "Trash can.." Its only a whisper but Miranda understands immediately, leaping for the trashcan and wheeling it to me just in time for Katie to empty the contents of her stomach into it. Everyone around us turns their noses up in disgust as I hold her steady and Miranda quickly pulls her hair back from her face. "That's it, Katie-Kat. Get it all out." My feelings towards her a minute ago are instantly replaced with remorse and I can't fight the urge to drop all my plans for today to take care of her.

She throws up one more time before she leans up and Miranda hands her a napkin to wipe her mouth with. "Mandy, I think I should stay in bed today." Her voice is quiet with defeat as Miranda raises her eyebrow at me and snickers a bit. "See, what did I tell ya Kates. Sissy knows best." Katie scoffs and rolls her eyes, leaning up from the trash can and back against my chest. "I can take her Trav. I'll put her to bed." I shake my head no and Katie looks up at me with a questioning look. "It's okay Miranda, I got her. I've already eaten and you sacrificed your breakfast to the floor." Miranda looks down at her food all over the floor and laughs. "See how much I love you Katie? I dropped the worlds most perfect breakfast for you. I'll be up after I eat to check on you before the rest of us head to the fields." Katie gives her a small smile and nods as I begin to lead her to the door of the mess hall.

We say nothing to each other the whole way back to her cabin and when we make it into her bedroom, I lead her over to her bed and pull her covers back. She sits down and pulls her comforter up over her legs, then she stares at me with those beautiful green eyes till her gaze falls to her discarded pajama pants over by her dresser. I understand what she wants and I quickly grab them, handing them to her as her fingertips brush my hand and I pull it back in surprise. "Hades Katie-Kat. Your hands are like ice." She nods as she takes her jean shorts off under the covers and slips her pajama pants back on. It's then that I notice she's trembling, most likely from body chills thanks to whatever she's sick with. "Here, take this." I quickly take my sweatshirt off and adjust it, pulling it open so I can put it over her head. She must be really sick because she doesn't fight me or recoil in disgust at the idea. She shoves her arms through the sleeves and finally lays down, adjusting her pillow as I crouch next to her. I pull her covers up and tuck her in, making sure she's secure before I stand back up to leave her to sleep.

"Trav." I pause at the sound of her quiet voice and let go of her doorknob to look back at her. "Will you stay with me? Please?" My heart flutters at her request and I can't nod my head in agreement fast enough. I take my shoes off at her door and walk to the other side of her bed, slipping under the covers as she turns towards me. I slither deeper under her comforter and settle my head on her other pillow. I look over at her and she slowly scoots closer to me, laying her head on my chest and I wrap my arm around her head. I bury my face in her hair as I hold her close and realize that this is probably the most relaxed I've felt in a very long time. It doesn't take long till Katie's breathing slows and I know she's fallen into a deep slumber with me following right behind her.

Miranda's POV:

"OH. MY. FREAKIN-" Iris says when I gasp and slap a hand over her mouth after I see what she sees. Katie and Travis. Cuddling. In her bed. Asleep. I bite my lip to keep from squealing in excitement but Iris doesn't have nearly as mush self-control as I do. I can see her own excitement bubbling up and I quickly shove her out of Katie's room before she wakes them. I go to close the door when I spot her polaroid camera on her dresser next to the door. Iris is right behind me trying to peek in and her gaze lands on the same thing I'm staring at.  "Oh my gods Mandy, you have to! No one outside this cabin will ever believe us! And who knows if Katie will remember when she recovers!" She hisses and I bring a finger to my lips when I look back at her, nodding in agreement before I slip into Katie's room. I leave her standing at the crack in the door and swipe the camera from Katie's dresser, turning it on as Iris flashes a thumbs up at me. I wink and tiptoe closer to the sleeping couple, taking aim to snap the picture. (above)

I push till I hear the click from the camera and Katie stirs suddenly as I bolt from the room, silently closing the door behind me as Iris stares at me hopefully. "Well?" A huge smile sneaks across my face in confirmation and she squeals, quickly slapping her hand over her mouth as I drag her away from Katie's door. The other girls are still at breakfast so the picture should be developed by the time they get back. There's no way I'm letting them take turns to see for themselves and risk waking them up. I've been waiting for this TOO long.

"Dude, she's going to kill you." Poppy says to me with a big smile a couple minutes later once the  evidence has been passed around among our sisters. I stare down at the polaroid and can't help but feel so happy because for once in her life, Katie looks at peace. "I don't care. I think she's finally admitting to herself that she's in love with him and this is my proof. Like I told her earlier, sissy knows best." I smirk at the girls surrounding me and they all nod in agreement.

I guess this didn't end as bad as I thought it was going to. Now to come up with the worlds most solid alibi when for when I'm interrogated by Chiron later for Katie's absence.