My Hero

Katie's POV:

I place the last clean plate from dinner in the cabinet and look at my friend Rachael with a smile. "And we are done! Thank you for helping me! You really didn't need to." She picked up the dish drying towel she used and threw it on her shoulder as she shrugged. "Eh, it was my fault you were caught out of your cabin after curfew last night! It was the least I could do! Will I see you at the bonfire?" I smile and nod as I close the cabinet. "Yeah, I'll be right behind you! I'm just going to pull out all the extra s'more stuff in case we need it later!" I tell her as I grab a cup and fill it with water from the purifier in the fridge. She smiles as I shoo her away with a flick of my wrist and she waves goodbye. Once I'm by myself in the kitchen, I pull a big bag of marshmallows from the s'mores cabinet and place it down on the counter. I take my time drinking the water in my cup and when I set it down, I catch a glimpse of something scurrying across the floor at my toes. I shriek and stumble back to jump on the island behind me, pulling myself up till I'm standing on it. 

I lean a bit to peek over the edge of the counter till I can see the whole floor and watch as a little mouse bolts from where I was just standing and I scream again, tears building behind my eyes as I begin to hyperventilate a little bit. I can do almost any rodent or bug....but I don't do mice. I whimper as the mouse sniffs at the door the leads into the mess hall when it suddenly flies wide open. I scream when I loose sight of the mouse and look up to see the older of the Stoll duo standing there in the doorway with a concerned look.

"Katie-Kat, why are you acting like the floor is lava?" He leans against the door frame and he crosses his arms as he raise an eyebrow. "There's a mouse." I say as quietly as I can and he rolls his eyes. He looks behind the door he just shoved open and scans the floor real quick before looking back at me. "There's nothing here." I quickly wipe the tears that threaten to escape and lock up my pride. "Will you double check throughly for me?" He sighs heavily and I relax a bit till he starts shaking his head no. "I don't have time for this. We need more marshmallows at the fire." He quickly grabs the bag I had just set out for this exact reason and begins to walk out. "Fine!!! I don't need you!!!" I yell and throw my plastic cup at his head as he glides out the door. I roar in frustration when it hits the door and clatters to the floor. I crying softly as I sit down on the counter and try to wipe the tears as fast as I can so I can see well enough to spot the mouse for when it inevitably shows up again.

I watch the floor by the door like a hawk for a couple more minutes till I hear a faint scratching to my left. I whip my head in the direction of the noise just in time to see the mouse run across the counter where the marshmallows were located not more than 5 minutes ago. I shriek and try to scramble away as it pauses, watching me with its devilish beady little eyes. The door flies open again and there Travis is with a horror-stricken look across his face as we lock eyes. He swipes the cup that I threw off the ground as I tumble backwards off the island, forgetting how small it actually is. I try to catch myself but instead,  I smack my wrist off the other counter along the right wall. I scream in agony as I hit the ground flat on my back and get the wind knocked out of my lungs.

"Holy Hades Katie!!!" Travis is suddenly at my side as I continue to sob and clutch my wrist to my chest, curling into myself on the tile floor of the kitchen. "I got him Katie-Kat. It's okay, I caught him." Travis helps me sit up and pulls me up from the floor from behind me. I glance over and through my tears, I can see my cup upside down gently gliding across the counter as the mouse squeaks frantically. Travis reads my mind and grabs a napkin to place under the cup, carefully keeping the mouse entrapped as he takes him out the back door of the kitchen.

I limp over to the stool near me as Travis rushes back to aid me. He steadies me as I take a seat and continue to tremble from the shock of the sudden pains I just endured. I look up at him and his eyes soften when they find mine. "May I see?" I hesitate for a moment but eventually unlatch my injured wrist from my chest, reaching towards him as he takes it delicately into his soft hands. He presses in a couple places and I wince at certain points but the pain isn't totally unbearable. "It's not broken but it'll definitely bruise. Some ice should help with inflammation." I nod and wipe the rest of my tears as he walks to the freezer to pull out a gel icepack. He returns and wraps it around my wrist, securing it with my hair tie and I give it a light shake to make sure it's not going anywhere. 

"My hero." I grumble as I slide off the stool and head towards the door, not even bothering with gratitude. "Hey now, don't you start being an Attitudy Judy after I came back to help you." I freeze when I reach the door and spin back towards him, unable to contain my anger. "You left me!!!!! You KNEW I was terrified and you LEFT ME!!! If you had never left, I never would've fallen and gotten hurt! I asked for your help and you walked away instead so forgive me if I give you an attitude because I feel like I wasn't worth the minute it would've taken to find the mouse before I did." My finger is pointed at him as my nostrils flare and he stares back at me at silence. 

I scoff and turn to leave when I suddenly feel his body heat behind me. I gasp as he turns me back towards him and I'm instantly flush against his chest. He uses his pointer finger to tilt my chin up so I'm looking right at his face. "I'm sorry. I never should've left you alone. I'll never do something like that again. I promise." I'm dumbfounded by the sincerity I can feel and see etched into his pretty face. I quickly rebound my initial shock and flash him a small smirk. "I'll feed you to the hell hounds if you break that promise." I turn away from him and he follows me out of the kitchen after I turn out the lights. I can feel his smirk burning into the back of my head. "I'm sure you will, flower girl."

I bet he would taste pretty good if I did have to feed him to the hell hounds....