Capture the Flag

Katie's POV:

I watch like a hawk, crouching on my platform in the dense tree tops behind my teams red flag. I hear the fighting noises of capture the flag in the distance but no one has attempted to abduct our flag yet. Being the last line of defense is a cool honor and all but it's so boring. I should be down there kicking some ass instead of perched in a tree with my eyes as my most valuable weapon. Holly and Violet are stationed in the two trees on either side of the flag since they're a bit too young to play on the ground. The rest of our sisters are patrolling the area with the Apollo cabin as our line of defense on the ground. Everyone else on our team is attempting to locate and capture the blue flag.

After a couple of uneventful minutes, I hear a shrill scream from Violet's tree and immediately stand up from my crouched position. A lot of rustling in the trees follows the scream from her side of the flag. I suddenly hear muffled screaming from Holly's direction and my heart starts to beat rapidly. I debate using the branches to take me to their positions but I can feel the opposing team closing in on our flag through their movements on the ground.

I wait for the first person to come into my line of sight when I notice increased rustling in the bushes on both sides of our flag, the same bushes located at the bottom of the trees with the two other watch platforms. I suck in a breath as I watch in horror at what emerges from the bushes. Both of my baby sisters are caught in nets and they continue screaming as they are dragged across the ground into the small clearing by two Ares campers. "NO!!!" I prep myself to jump from the platform and free them when I feel my platform rattle with weight being dropped on it. I gasp and look back to see Travis with a piece of blue cloth tied across his hairline. He has eyeblack painted on his cheekbones and has a mischievous smile cemented on his face.

I don't have a second to defend myself till he's already rushing at me and I stumble back in surprise. "Oh shit-" I hear him mutter as he reaches for me and I attempt to grab his out stretched arm but I just miss him. I suck in another breath as I fall backwards off the platform and plummet towards the ground, every branch scratching me on the way down as I scream in terror. I crash down into an open net and it sinks under my weight, creaking as it throws me slightly back into the air. I shriek in surprise till I fall into it again and I finally come to a rest after couple seconds.

I look behind me to see the two Ares boys leave my sisters behind as they head towards my flag. I immediately fight to get out of the net when I hear creaking followed by a snap. I scream as the branch holding one side of the net snaps and I fall the remaining 10 feet to the ground. I grunt when I hit the slight hill against the tree trunk and the wind gets knocked out of me.

I roll down the rest of the hill till I come to a stop on my stomach 5 feet from the poll staked in the ground with our flag on it. I cough violently as I look up and watch Trevor, one of the Ares kids with Travis, grab the flag and hold it up triumphantly. Cheers erupt from the many other campers who have gathered since I've been pushed from my post and my attention immediately flees to my two youngest sisters. Miranda and Iris are already helping them out of their nets as they whimper quietly, trying not to cry. They must've been pushed into nets from their positions like I was. I groan as I try to pick myself up when big hands suddenly swoop in under my armpits and effortlessly pull me up from the ground. I turn around but before I can express my gratitude, I find myself staring at my attacker and his nervous yet charming smile as he rubs the back of his neck.

"I'm so sorry Katie-" I don't give him a chance to finish because I scoff in disbelief. "No, we're way past apologies. You pushed me out of tree. Hell, you pushed a 5 and 6 year old out of tree while you were at it." I roll my eyes and go to walk away when he grabs my wrist. I gasp as he spins me back towards him, pulling me flush against his chest. I feel my heart rate spike as he stares down at me, still holding on to my wrist. "First of all, I would never push a child out of a tree. I VERY GENTLY flew them down and dropped them 3 feet above the nets. Second of all, I didn't push you. You fell. I was going to do the same thing with you. I never intended for you to fall all that way." I push myself from his chest when he's done with his explanation and I back up a little from him. "If you ever do something like that to me again, I'll buzz your head in your sleep." He gasps dramatically as his eyes widen and I smirk in approval at his reaction. He quickly recovers and responds with "I bet you would, flower girl. For the record, I'd be 10 times more sexy with a buzzed head." I feel my face grow warm as I turn on my heel and I walk away from him. I let my hips sway with a little drama as I look back to see him watching me and he immediately looks away with a nervous smirk.

Two can play at that game.