New Powers

Katie's POV:

"Somethings wrong." Miranda said suddenly as I looked up at her from Holly's bed and immediately felt it in my stomach too. I quickly got up as the rest of my sisters looked at me with fear, feeling the exact same thing Miranda and I felt as I rushed for the door. I ran outside and around the cabin to see the edge of the forest behind our cabin engulfed in flames as I gasped in fear. "Katie, it hurts." I heard Holly whimper behind me as I looked back and saw all my sisters standing there holding their heads with pain as the forest reflected it's pain on to them as a distress signal. Miranda seemed unfazed like me because we've mastered tolerance to feeling the pain of the plants around us and she looked at our sisters with fright. Travis and Connor suddenly ran up to us with the rest of their cabin behind them as they all watched the forest with wide eyes. "Katie, what can we do to help?" Travis asked me as I looked around at my groaning sisters and looked back at him. "Take my sisters to Will and see if he can numb the pain then meet me at the fire with as much water as you can or with Percy if you can find him. Miranda and Connor, you're with me. We need to get this fire out. Immediately." I told them as they nodded and Connor ran to the back of my cabin to get the hose. Travis began to gather my sisters with the help of his cabin and they led them towards the infirmary as Miranda and I ran for the forest.

We came to a halt right on the edge as the flames roared and the heat blew into our faces when the wind blew slightly. "We need to get to the center and put it out from the middle." I told Miranda as I tried to run it but she suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me away. "No way!!!! Are you crazy!?" She exclaimed as they roared closer and we took a step back, guarding our faces as the flames got even hotter. Connor ran up with our hose and looked at me for guidance, knowing that it was getting worse by the second. "Ok Connor, I need you to create a path to the center. Miranda, you will grow large vines along the outside of the fire and Connor will hose them down to keep them from catching fire so we can stop it from spreading." I told them as Connor nodded and began spraying down a pathway for me, giving Miranda the chance to question my plan as Travis joined us with a second hose and buckets from another cabin. "Katie, what are you going to do once you get to the center? You're powerless there. All the plants are dead by now." She told me and I nodded, already knowing what I needed to do but I knew she wasn't going to like it. "The wind isn't dead.." I told her as she looked at me with wide eyes. "No way Katie. None of us have ever attempted to take control of the wind. It's too dangerous especially if you're not strong enough." Miranda told me as I looked between her and the forest but shook my head in disagreement. "Wait, woah. Can you even do that? Is that even possible?" Travis asked me in surprise as he filled up his first bucket and I nodded. "According to our mother, yes. Wind is a form of nature because the air being blown is created by plants. There's itty bitty particles in the air that I can take control of and command the wind to do anything. Our mother is the only one who knows how but we don't have time to consult in her. I have to figure it out on my own and once I do, I'm going to create a tornado-like funnel to suck out all the oxygen so the fire dies down." I told my boyfriend as he nodded and shut off the hose, throwing his bucket of water on the fire to help Connor create a path for me. "I know I can't stop you so I'm going to give you this. It's help you focus your powers and connect with the wind easier." Miranda said and slipped off her Larimar crystal over her head, slipping it over my head as I suddenly felt a surge of energy coursing through my veins. "Thank you Miranda. I'll take good care of it." I reassured her as I clutched in my hand and hugged her, knowing it was very sentimental to her because it was a gift from our mom. We pulled away and Miranda went to start growing vines along the outside to contain the fire as Travis followed her with another bucket. "You're all good to go Katie." Connor shouted as I nodded but before I could go in, Travis ran up with his empty bucket and grabbed my hand as he gave me a quick peck on cheek. "You got this babe. I believe in you." He told me as I squeezed his hand and nodded, running right into the fire where I was instantly met with heat and the smell of burning wood.

The fire wasn't too big so when I made it to the center, I could still see Miranda, Connor, and Travis working frantically to contain the fire for the sake of my other sisters. I was attacked with smoke as I coughed and looked around, my eyes burning and the flames continued getting bigger as they climbed up the trees. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, clutching Mirandas Larimar crystal as I felt for everything around me. All I could feel were the plants dying one after the other until I could faintly feel the wind blowing. The particles were moving too fast and were scattered all over the place so grabbing their attention was more difficult than I anticipated. I focuses all my energy and suddenly caught handful of particles as I opened my eyes, the wind in front of me no longer blowing as I smirked. Just as I was about to take control of more particles, a huge oak tree suddenly caught fire as I gasped with sudden pain and crumbled to my knees.  The air I had escaped my grasp as I breathed heavily, clutching my stomach as my head began pounding. I gritted through my teeth as I tried to pick myself up but my legs were beginning to weaken and the smoke became heavier. "You got this, Katie. Don't forget that this is your domain and you are in control." A very familiar voice suddenly rang in my head as I looked up at the sky with a small smile, taking a deep breathe as I began to get up. I staggered to my feet and planted them in a stronger stance, closing my eyes once more as I felt the air swirling around me. I grabbed the crystal as it began to grow warm in my hand and I could suddenly feel every single little particle in the air swirling around me. I snapped my fingers and they all suddenly stopped, completely still as they waited for my next command and I opened my eyes. I opened up my hand and saw the crystal glowing green as I let it go, waving my hand back and forth as the wind moved with it. I smiled and began to move my hand in a circular motion, watching as the wind began to pick up around me and swirled heavily around me. My plan was coming together as the wind grew so strong that the crystal began to float up off my chest in front of me and I felt myself behind picked up from the ground slowly. The makeshift tornado was sucking away the oxygen from the fires around me and they began to die down as Travis and Connor acted fast. The tornado sucked up all the smoke as I looked down and saw the ground slowly getting farther, the air getting thinner and thinner. I coughed lightly as I began to succumb to the exhaustion and looked up to the sky, the sky being the last thing I saw and everything went black.

Miranda's POV:

"It's working!!! She's doing it!!!" I yelled over the roaring wind as we stepped out of the forest and watched as Katie began to create a tornado. It sucked away all the smoke and oxygen as the fires began to die down but the funnel began getting stronger, picking up Katie slowly as her feet left the ground and she began floating delicately. I watched in awe as my crystal floated in front of her, glowing bright green as Connor and Travis went to put out all the baby fires that were still left. I watched my sister in awe as she was slowly sucked up by her tornado, her hair whipping up towards the sky as she looked up but her eyes suddenly slipped shut. Connor put out the last fire as the wind slowly began to die down and Katie began floating down again. I watched as she neared the ground and was laid down gently with her back to us, the funnel suddenly falling apart as Katie was left there surrounded by all the dead plants. "Katie!!" Travis yelled and ran to her aid, falling to his knees next to her as I ran up behind him, watching as he turned her towards him and pulled her head off the ground. He kept an arm around her shoulders as he supported her and brushed her hair out of her face, both of us feeling relief as she breathed steadily. "She'll be just fine. She's exhausted, that's all." I told Travis as he looked up at me and nodded, throwing her arm around his shoulders as he lifted her up. I walked out of the now black forest with Travis as he carried my sleeping sister and we met up with Connor on the edge, who was breathing heavily will all the running he was doing. "Thank gods it's over. I'm going to take a nap for the 5 years now." He said as he fell backwards and hit the ground on his back, watching the sky as I giggled. "I'm right there with you." I said and fell down next to him, lying next to him as we looked at each other and smiled. "Well, I'll leave you two lovebirds here because Katie needs her actual bed." Travis announced as we both grew bright red and looked up back towards the sky, laying there awkwardly as Travis walked towards my cabin. "Let's never have to do this again. Deal?" Connor asked me as I looked at him and nodded in agreement. "Promise." I said and held up a pinkie, grinning as he raised his pinkie to mine and they interlocked. I expected him to let go almost instantly but he interlocked the rest of his fingers with mine and let our hands fall to the ground in-between us as we smiled at each other. I could stay here forever but the dinner alarm suddenly rang out and I shot up, sitting up as I looked back towards the mess hall. "Ah yes!!! It's about time!" I said excitedly and scrambled to my feet, pulling Connor up as he laughed at me and I smirked at him. "I'll race you." I said flirtatiously as I booked it towards the mess hall and heard him laughing behind me, starting to chase after me as I felt his footsteps catching up with me through the grass.