Hecate's Illness!

Katie's POV:

"Mr. D? You requested my presence?" I knock on one of the wooden posts on the porch of the big house and Mr. D looks up from his solo game of solitaire. He quickly takes a sip of his diet coke and clears his throat. "Ah, yes. Kathy Garland. Please, take a seat." I go to correct him but before the words leave my mouth, I remember it's pointless so I nod and take a seat at the little round table across from him.

"You know Kathy. I don't appreciate when my campers lie to me." I feel my heartbeat speed up and ultimately decide to play dumb. "I have no idea what you're-"

"DO NOT LIE TO ME, LITTLE FLOWER GIRL!!!!" I gasp and nearly leap out of my seat to run, gulping down my fear before I learn what he's referring to....even though I know exactly what he's talking about. I knew someone would catch on eventually when I came back from my quest 2 weeks ago empty handed. I never fail my quests.

"You lied to us. You DID collect all the ingredients to create a plant that'll cure any illness." He leans back in his chair and crosses his arms, giving me my chance to come clean. "I'm sorry I lied Mr. D. I did it to protect camp. If it got out that I succeeded and every monster in the world came banging on our door, what do we do then? There's too many people I don't trust with a secret like that..." I tell him truthfully and he nods, agreeing with my judgement. "Very well. What do you call it?" He leans forwards in his chair again, shoving his sunglasses into his hair to look me in the eye and reassure me my secret is safe with him. "I'll call it the Ollikure Bloom when it's complete. Every test has failed because it's missing a vital ingredient but I have no idea what it's missing." His face immediately falls with panic and all the pieces begin to fall together. He needs it for something.

"No human medicine is strong enough to make the bloom work. There's no cure to cancer I can steal from an underground base or anything. Believe me, I've looked in every nook and cranny of this earth." He leans back in his chair again, letting out a big sigh and pinching his nose. I watch him for a moment till he freezes, and idea popping into his head when he figures out what the missing ingredient is. "A thread from the Golden Fleece." He stares at me intensely while I think and the realization hits me as well. "That's it. That's exactly the type of thing I've been searching for. How am I even going to get close to it? Peleus won't let me near it." He thinks for a moment and remembers something. He jumps from his seat and rushes into the big house through the door behind me. 

He comes back a moment later and tosses a little ziplock bag on the table in front of me. The bag contains a beautiful, singular golden thread and I gasp, swiping the bag up from the table and I examine it closely. "Where did you get this?" He takes his seat across from me once again and takes another sip from his diet coke. "I may have swiped it when Peter Johnson brought it back to save camp. I keep it beneath my pillow so it it keeps my wrinkles minimal and my beauty maximal." I raise my eyebrow and match his stance, leaning back in my seat as I cross my arms. "Why do you need the Ollikure?" I finally ask and he sits back up, placing his elbows on the table as he folds his hands below his chin. "Hecate is dying. Our world is in danger." 

"I'm sorry, I think I misheard you. You said Hecate is dying? A goddess? An IMMORTAL goddess? The same one who protects our world with her mist?" He sighs and nods his head. "Yep, that's the one." He allows a moment of silence for me to process what will happen if she were to die and I look back at him so he can continue. "She came down with a nasty illness about a month ago. We've never seen it before in all our centuries. It's killing her and her mist is already weakening. We don't want to create panic so Hermes is only keeping Chiron and I up with his messages. You are now the only other person in this camp who knows. That's why we sent you on that quest you asked for. The Fates are on our side and dropped the solution right in our lap. You're going on a new "quest" but you're just delivering the Ollikure to Olympus and you'll be back by tonight. I give you my permission to take your pegasus or any other way that gets you there quicker. She's got days left, maybe hours for all I know. You need to leave right now and take one person of your choosing. The monsters will sense the bloom the moment you step out of this camp unless you enchant it so backup is necessary. Good luck." He tells me and I no, quickly absorbing everything he told me. I grab the thread and let him know who I will be taking with me to Olympus, earning his nod of approval before I run back to my cabin.