Undercover

Travis's POV:

"Another mission!? That's like the 3rd one this month!!!" I exclaimed as Chiron slid me a file and nodded his head. "This war is right around the corner. We only have a few days left and have to do everything in our power to gain the upper hand so this is your next task. You're partner should be here any minute." He told me as I went to open the file but the door behind me opened and I looked back to see Katie Gardner stroll into the room. "Oh, you've gotta be kidding me! You're pairing me up with Gardner!?" I asked, anger evident in my voice because she grew a tree through my bunk this morning during breakfast and now I have to wait a few days for the Hephaestus kids to build me a new one. "Don't even start with me again Stoll. You needed a taste of your own medicine. Get over it." She said with venom in her voice as I rolled my eyes at her and she took the seat next to me. "Knock it off, both of you. Put your silly little debacle in the past and listen up. This may be the most important mission yet to put us ahead of Kronos." Chiron said as we glared at each other and looked back at him, nodding in agreement as he handed Katie her own file to go through. "What do we have to do?" Katie asked as Chiron smirked and showed us a picture of a boy about our age. "You, my dear, are going on a date with this man." Chiron responded as Katie and I looked at each other weirdly. I felt a sting of jealousy as I sulked into my chair and began flipping through the file we were given, not exactly thrilled with the idea of Katie going on a date. "This is Daniel Boman and he is a son of Athena who is a confirmed spy for Kronos. You have a date with him tonight at the bar right down the road to capture him and bring him in for interrogation." Chiron informed Katie as she nodded and I sat back up again. "Wait, we're both underage. Neither of us can even go into that bar." I told Chiron, hoping to get us off this mission but he smirked in response and pulled out a fake ID. He handed it to Katie as she gasped and I snatched it from her, earning glares from her as I stared at the ID in disbelief. "How did you even...it looks so real." I said as I looked up at Chiron and Katie snatched it back from me, putting it in her pocket as Chiron smiled. "We have a cabin filled with crazy intelligent children of Athena. Someone knew what they were doing." He said slyly as I chuckled and looked at Katie, who was smiling too. "Katie, you will be going undercover with the fake name Lacey Russell. This ID has been enchanted by the Hecate cabin so as long as it is within a few feet from you, it will mess with Daniel's brain and he won't be able to recognize you. A daughter of Aphrodite named Keri helped me set up this date with Daniel and she's actually waiting in the next room over to help you get ready. You may go over now." Chiron told Katie as she nodded and I watched her get up from her chair, leaving the room as I looked back at him. "You, Mr. Stoll, get to choose from my selection of weapons and tools for your task tonight." Chiron said, walking over to a tall cabinet and he unlocked it. He pulled the doors open and revealed a huge selection of weapons as my mouth dropped. "Choose wisely." He said as I scrambled up and walked to the cabinet swiftly, taking it in all as I scanned the entire cabinet. I immediately went for the tranquilizer darts because you can never be too careful and selected a few other things as I began to strap them to myself. I hooked up an earpiece and snaked the wire through my shirt as I connected it to the pack in my back pocket. I grabbed Katie a wireless earpiece so she didn't have to worry about hiding a wire when the door suddenly to the office swung open and I looked over to see Keri walk in. "I present to you Lacey Russell." She announced as heels clicked on the ground and Katie entered the room. "Wowwww..." I breathed a little louder than I intended to as she looked at me and blushed slightly.

" I breathed a little louder than I intended to as she looked at me and blushed slightly

"I don't look anything like myself

"I don't look anything like myself." She said shyly and looked at the ground as I approached her with her earpiece in my hand, handing it to her as she put it in her ear and turned it on. "You look beautiful Katie." I told her truthfully with a small smile on my face, letting some of the tension between us melt away as she smiled and nodded. "Well done Keri. You did a phenomenal job. You are now exempt from kitchen duties for the rest of this year." He told her as she nodded and shook his hand, solidifying their agreement. "Good luck tonight guys!! You'll do great!" She said with a strange tone in her voice that I caught on to right away and I watched her as she left the room. "As you guys probably know, Argus is currently with Annabeth and Percy on their quest so I'm giving you permission to take the strawberry fields truck to the bar." Chiron told me and handed me the keys to the truck as Katie looked at him strangely. "What?! No way!! That truck practically belongs to my cabin so I should drive." Katie said in protest as I twirled the keys around my finger with a smirk on my face to taunt her a little bit. "Uh, pause. You're the one who gets a fake ID and gets to drink alcohol tonight." I told her as she looked at me with disbelief and then back at Chiron for back up. "Sorry Katie but he's right. He has to be designated driver tonight." Chiron told her as she nodded and looked at the ground in defeat. "I guess.." She said as she crossed her arms and stuck out her lower lip, narrowing her eyes at me as I flashed her a playful smile. "Ugh whatever. Let's just get this over with." She said and walked out of the room as I frowned, looking back at Chiron as he shrugged. "Good luck young demigod. Don't forget, you can't show yourself at all and must stay in the truck because Daniel will recognize you. You'll be successful, I can feel it. There's a reason this is your 3rd mission this month.....and Katie will be just fine. She can handle herself." He told me with reassurance as I gave him a weird look because he can probably see right through this "I'm so angry at you" act I have going on with her. He definitely knows how much I actually care about her and would rearrange the whole galaxy if in ensured her safety and survival. I nodded and thanked him, grabbing my bow and quiver on my way out of the room and walked outside onto the porch of the big house. The chilly air blew a breeze as I shuttered and looked up the hill to see Katie waiting patiently next to the truck, rubbing her arms as the cool night air blew against her exposed skin. I began walking up the hill, unable to shake the feeling that something was going to go south tonight and I continued thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong tonight.

to be continued...