She's Just Fine Right Here

Travis's POV:

I watched with irritation as Lane Barber, a son of Hephaestus, approached Katie at the party we were at and started a conversation with her. I got even angrier every time she laughed or smiled at him even though it seemed forced till Connor called out suddenly from across the room. "Travis, you're staring again." He said quite loudly over the music as Katie glanced in my direction and I quickly looked away, my face getting hot with anger as I glared at him and he gave me a thumbs up. I rolled my eyes as I stood up quickly and stormed out of the rec hall, walking past a couple in the porch making out as I stormed up the hill to the swings on the tree. I grabbed one and sat down to take a minute to myself as I swung slowly, taking in the crisp chilly breeze as I listened to the muffled music coming from the rec hall.

After a few minutes by myself, I was still a little irritated but I left my hoodie inside and it was getting colder so I decided to go back inside. I grabbed a drink and went back to the 2 seater bar table I was sitting at when Katie suddenly came up, taking the other seat as she tried to hide her face. "Can I help you?" I asked out of lingering anger as she looked at me with hurt and pleading eyes. "This guy has been harassing me all night..." She said as my eyes softened and she looked behind her, my anger rising again but not for the same reason as before. "Who?" I asked bitterly as she looked back at me with surprise and looked around again. "Him.." She finished as I looked behind her and sure enough, Lane was approaching us as I balled my fist under the table and narrowed my eyes at him. "Hey darling, why don't you come and sit with me over here?" He asked her as I glanced at Katie and she kept her stare trained on me, refusing to meet his gaze as I grabbed her hand under the table to reassure her. "I think she's just fine right here." I said protectively as Lane looked at me with annoyance and rolled his eyes. "Oh yeah? What are you going to do Stoll?" He asked, crossing his arms as I glanced at Katie and smirked at him. "Do you wanna find out?" I asked as I took my hand back from Katie and stood up, challenging him as fury flooded his face. He swung at me but I threw my hand up and caught his punch inches from my face, squeezing it as I twisted his arm away and he bowled in pain. Before I could retaliate, Katie suddenly jumped up from her seat and socked him right in the face as he stumbled away from us. "Gah, I think I broke my hand." She gritted through her teeth, holding her hand to her chest as I looked at her with concern for a moment then turned my attention back to Lane. He caught himself before he could fall to the ground and stood up straight again, whipping towards us in fury as he lunged for Katie. I quickly put myself between them and grabbed his shoulders to stop him, swiftly moving a hand to the back of his head as I smashed it into the table we were sitting at and he fell to the ground groaning. "Stoll, you probably just gave me a concussion." He groaned from the the ground as he clutched his forehead and I shrugged. "One could wish. If you ever come near Katie again, next time I won't be so gentle." I said coldly as I grabbed my hoodie and stepped over him, turning back toward Katie as I held a hand out for her. She grabbed it with her uninjured hand as she smiled at me and stepped over him, following me to the door as we looked back to see people surrounding Lane on the ground with concern. "Let's get you fixed up." I told Katie as she smiled and nodded, still holding my hand as I led her to the infirmary.

Will was done for the night so I picked the locked and I silently opened the door, holding it open for Katie as she walked in and I closed it quietly behind us. We walked past all the empty beds and into the back room where all the supplies were kept. I flipped on the light and helped her up onto the counter because she only had one hand, then walked over to the huge freezer and opened it up. I quickly scanned the millions of different ice packs that Will had and settled on a thin one that would morph into the shape of Katie's hand. I closed the freezer again and walked over to the tall stainless steel metal cabinet, opening one of the doors as it creaked and I grabbed a travel pack containing both ambrosia and nectar. I closed the door again and walked back to Katie, setting the stuff next to her as I reached for the cabinet above the counter near her head. I opened the door and pulled out a whole roll of gauze, closing the door again as I set the gauze on the counter. I stepped in front of Katie and held out my hand as she laid her injured hand in mine. I examined it delicately as I handed her the pack of ambrosia and nectar and pressed gently in some places, earning some winces as I looked up at her and smiled slightly. "Well, nothing seems broken but you definitely sprained it." I told her as she smiled and stared down at the bruises developing on her hand. She took the shot of nectar I gave her and ate the ambrosia in one bite, looking back down at her hand as the bruises because to fade away as fast as they came. She smiled and I began to pressing lightly again to see it anything still hurt but it seemed almost completely healed. "It's still a little sore." She said quietly as I nodded and grabbed the ice pack, laying it across the back of her hand and I reached for the gauze. I wrapped gauze around it gently and cut it when I felt that it was secure enough as I smoothed everything down. "You're good at this." Katie said with a smile as I chuckled and put the gauze back in the cabinet. "I'm the Hermes counselor. My siblings always need patched up with all the trouble they get into." I told her as she giggled and I helped her down from the counter. I turned off the light and we snuck back through the infirmary, silently slipping out the front door as I locked it from the inside and closed the door.

My cabin is super close to the infirmary but Katie's is pretty far away so I couldn't just leave her to walk on her own. We walked to her cabin in comfortable silence as the wind blew the cold night air and she shivered slightly. We stopped and I untied my hoodie from around my waist, throwing it over her head as I helped her get her bad hand through it and her gorgeous face popped out with her statically hair sticking to it. She giggled as I brushed her hair back out of her face and we finished our trek to her cabin. I followed her up on to the porch and she turned to face me as we stood there in the darkness. She stepped closer to me and stood on her tip toes, grabbing my hand as she left a soft kiss on my cheek. "Thank you for tonight." She said softly as heat rushed to my face, probably turning tomato red as I smiled and nodded. "Anything for you." I told her quietly as her face also began to turn red and she turned back towards her front door. She opened it and looked back at me one more time before she went inside. "Goodnight Travis." She said as we made eye contact and smiled at each other. "Goodnight Katie." I said as she walked the rest of the way inside and closed the door, letting me hear it lock before I began to make my way towards my cabin. I'm gonna make that girl my wife one day but for now, I should probably stick to finding the courage to ask her out on a date.