Aquaphobia - Prequel

Katie's POV:

"Good morning my dears." I said as I walked out of my room on a Saturday morning and flipped on the lights to our cabin. I only got sleepy grumbles in response as I laughed and shook my head. "If you're dressed and ready for breakfast in ten minutes, we'll go to the beach after lunch." I stated as everyone suddenly shot up from their pillows and looked at me with wide eyes. "Really?" Iris asked with a sly smile as I laughed and nodded, causing everyone to jump out of bed and make a beeline for their dressers. I stood there laughing as clothes were thrown around and kicked across the floor, the girls scrambling to get dressed in time. I opened the front door and walked out onto the porch, taking in a breath of fresh morning air and I leaned against the porch railing as Travis approached me. "Good morning gorgeous." He said as I smiled and kissed him when he reached me. "Good morning." I said as we smiled at each other till we suddenly heard screaming come from inside. "I CAN'T FIND MY JEAN SHORTS!!!!!" We heard Poppy yell as the other girls began screaming followed by the slamming of dresser drawers and closet doors. "Woah, what the heck is going on?" Travis asked as I laughed and shook my head. "I told the girls that if they were dressed and ready for breakfast in ten minutes, we'd go to the beach after lunch." I told him as he looked at me skeptically but we started laughing. "Well, it's definitely working." He stated as I laughed and nodded. "I know a bunch of other cabins were doing that today too, including mine." He told me as my eyes lit up and I smiled at him. "That's awesome! The girls need a break from the strawberry fields and today is the perfect day since it'll be hot out." I told him as he nodded in agreement till my front door suddenly flew open and my 11 sisters stumbled out of the cabin, looking at us with wide smiles as Travis and I smiled back. "We found Poppy's shorts." Aria said with triumph as we laughed and Meadow closed the door, attempting to hide our destroyed cabin from me. "Well, you did it. As promised, we'll spend the rest of the day at the beach after lunch but when we get back from breakfast, you're putting our cabin back together. I saw that mess." I told them as Meadow gave me a sheepish smile and Violet came up to me, grabbing my hand as she pulled me off the porch. "Come on, I'm hungry!" She announced as I giggled and looked back at Travis, who smiled and shrugged his shoulders. I smiled back as he began to head back to his cabin so he could collect his siblings and get them to the mess hall. Holly held my hand all the way to the mess hall with our sisters close behind us and when we reached the door, I held it open for everyone and did a quick head count before I followed them inside.

>>time skip to after lunch>>

"Alrighty ladies. You ready for the beach?" I asked my sisters at our lunch table as they nodded eagerly and I smiled, nodding as we all got up and exited the mess hall. We walked back to our cabin and I opened the door to our now spotless cabin as the girls scrambled in to find their swimsuits. I went into my room and grabbed my white bikini from my bed, taking it into my bathroom so I could change. Once I was changed, I slipped on my white lace cardigan as a cover-up and exited my bathroom. I put my white flip flops on and began putting together my beach bag for everyone. I put it all the girls towels, their favorite snacks, floaties for the younger girls, and a bunch of sunscreen. Once I was all packed, I walked into the cabin area and found all the girls on their beds ready to go. "Ok, I got everyone's towels, some snacks, floaties, and sunscreen. Now all I need it someone to carry the umbrella." I told them as Aria raised her hand. "I got it!" She said and went to grab it from the closet as I nodded and opened the front door. I led the girls outside, making sure the door was closed and locked before I began leading them to the beach. Once we reached the sand, the girls found a spot they liked and helped me unpack my bag. We laid out the towels and as I was setting up the umbrella, the older girls began putting sunscreen on the younger ones before they put it on themselves. Once they were all set to go, the girls who could swim ran to the water where they met their friends and began swimming around. "Holly and Violet, please try to stay out of the water until I get your arm floaties blown up." I told the two youngest girls as they nodded and ran for the dock. I began blowing up the floaties and once I had one set blown up, I looked towards the dock and saw Holly and Violet at the edge looking in the water. "Violet!!! Your floaties are ready!" I shouted as she looked at me and ran in my direction. When she reached me, I put them on her and made sure they were secure before she ran to the water with the rest of the kids her age. I looked at Holly and looked away for a second as I began looking for her floaties. I suddenly heard the snap of a board and a shrill scream, followed by a splash of water as I whipped my head towards the dock and found it deserted. "NO!!! HOLLY!!!" I screamed as I jumped up and ran for the dock, drawing everyone's attention to the commotion. I ran down the dock as I looked ahead and saw Holly being dragged away by the current, desperately trying to stay above the water as my other sisters began screaming for help. "KATIE!!!!!" Holly screamed as she was dragged further and I dove into the water with no hesitation. I resurfaced and swam towards her as fast as I could till she was dragged under. I quickly dove under right behind her and swam with fury till I found her just in time. I grabbed her as her eyes opened and I began trying to contact the seaweed on the floor of the lake. "Take her to the surface! " I commanded in my mind as it obeyed and wrapped around her, shooting straight up through the surface as I tried to swim up but got tangled in the dead seaweed. My lungs screamed for air as I tried swimming up but I couldn't get free and my vision began getting fuzzy till everything went black.

Travis's POV:

"HELP!!!!! SOMEBODY HELP!!!!" I heard familiar voices yelling when I reached the beach and immediately ran towards the water to find the Demeter girls desperately trying to get to shore as they ran through the water. "What's going on!?!?" I asked Miranda when she reached me, completely out of breath as she looked around at everyone watching. "Holly fell in the water! Katie's going after her now!" She said breathlessly and pointed where Katie running down the dock towards Holly, who was trying her best to stay above the water as the current dragged her further away. "KATIE!!!!!" She screamed as Katie dove into the water flawlessly and resurfaced shortly after, swimming towards Holly as fast as she could. "Let's go!" I told Miranda as she nodded and we ran to the dock, running down the old boards till noticed that Katie and Holly weren't above the surface anymore. We dove in and swam in the direction Katie and Holly were as Holly suddenly broke through the surface wrapped in seaweed. We reached her as Miranda took her into her arms and began swimming to shore. I waited a few seconds for Katie to come up but she never did so I dove under and began searching for her. I couldn't find her and I was running out of air so I swam back to the surface, taking a deep breath of air before I dove back down. I searched for a few seconds and finally found her unconscious below me, dead seaweed wrapped around her ankles and wrists. I swam down and broke her free, wrapping my arm around her waist and began swimming with fury towards the surface. We resurfaced and I held Katie's head above the water as I began swimming back to surface. Once we were to the point that I could touch the floor, I brought her into my arms and carried her bridal style to the shore. I began running once the water was at my ankles and ran onto the sand as a bunch of campers came forward to see what was going on. I laid her on someones towel and brushed her hair out of her face, grabbing her wrist to check for a pulse. "SHE DOESN'T HAVE A PULSE!!!!" I shouted as an Apollo girl named Heidi ran forward and collapsed in the sand next to us. "Starting compulsions. Give her mouth-to-mouth when I reach 30." Heidi told me as I nodded and she began CPR. "28..29..30! Now!" Heidi commanded a few seconds later as I opened Katie's mouth and breathed oxygen inside. Heidi checked for another pulse in the neck this time as she looked at her nearby siblings with a concerned look. "Nothing. Starting compulsions again." She stated and continued pushing on her chest as my heart raced. "Come on, Katie. You can't leave me. I need you." I told her as tears brimmed my eyes and I brushed her hair back. "29..30!" Heidi said as I opened her mouth again and breathed in again. Heidi checked for a pulse and her eyes suddenly flashed with hope. "I think I'm getting something! We need to get the water out of her lungs! Now!" She shouted and I looked at her with a questionable look but Percy suddenly burst through the crowd with Annabeth right behind him, spotting us as he ran over. "I can help with that!" He said and knelt down next to us, hovering his hand above Katie's face as he began moving his fingers. Water suddenly began floating out of her mouth and into a ball above her as her eyes shot open a couple seconds later, coughing up the rest of the water as I rolled her on her side and she continued coughing. "You're ok. You're going to be just fine." I told her as I let out a sigh of relief and laid back down on the towel. "Holly. Is she ok?" She asked in a raspy voice as I nodded and pointed to where Miranda was standing with Holly, holding her hand as both of them watched us with really worried looks and they began walking over to us. "She's right here. She's unharmed." I told Katie and she smiled as they reached us, Holly kneeling down next to Katie as she started crying. "I'm so sorry Katie! I should have stayed further away from the edge." She cried as Katie smiled at her and cupped her cheek. "It's ok honey. You're alive and that's what matters. Besides, it wasn't your fault. No one could have stopped that board from breaking. That dock needs replaced anyways." Katie told her quietly as she nodded in agreement and Miranda helped her up, taking her hand as they took a step back to give Katie space. "You hear that team? Looks like building a new dock is our next project!" Gina Giacomino, a daughter of Hephaestus, shouted as her siblings nodded in agreement and immediately left to get the supplies they needed. "We need her to come with us to the infirmary so we can monitor her and make sure she regains her strength." Heidi told me as I nodded and began to help Katie to her feet. She nearly lost her balance and collapsed as I caught her, clearly exhausted from all the swimming she had to do. "I got you babe." I told her and scooped her up bridal style as she wrapped her arms around my neck, laying her head down on my shoulder as I walked to the infirmary with the Apollo kids right behind me. "Let's not ever have a repeat of today. Got it?" I asked Katie laughing as she giggled and gave me a weak thumbs up. "Good!" I said as I walked onto the porch of the infirmary, extremely thankful for Heidi and Percy because they're the reason the love of my life is alive right now and safe in my arms. 🥰