5 - Loneliness

{CHAPTER FIVE}
"You do belong here."

Loneliness by definition refers to sadness because one has no friends or company

Loneliness by definition refers to sadness because one has no friends or company. Which yes is a true dictionary meaning of the word.

But, what about the loneliness one feels even when surrounded by others.

You could be in the biggest crowd of folk and still feel completely alone and isolated. It only makes it worse when you look around yourself and see everyone else thriving with and leaning on others.

But, it gets even more unpleasant when you realise that you're doing it to yourself. When you come across the knowledge that you made it happen. The loneliness is your fault.

It was the default Harlow lived in, so much so she convinced herself she didn't feel it. It was one of the hardest parts of her captivity. Being completely alone for the majority of the time, or with a trainer and the soldier. Which wasn't any better in anyway.

She never got to sit and properly have a conversation with anyone. She never got the chance to exchange pleasantries. Something that was very important for further development at her young age.

She had lived that way for way too long, such a lengthy time that she didn't even realise how much she isolated herself unnecessarily. Cut herself off from the world. She couldn't even tell that she missed regular human interaction.

Harlow felt companions were utterly unnecessary and a complete waste of time. The need that she had seen others have to appease and please random people just so they would like them. Harlow certainly wasn't a fan of the idea.

You would think for a girl as highly smart as Harlow she would have come to the realisation quicker. The amount of hours she spent alone in her room would have hinted at the isolation she was forcing upon herself. But she couldn't say she particularly minded, until the extreme boredom hit.

She hated to say it but her life before she escaped was seeming to be more thrilling than the current life she was leading. It was a thought she detested, and in her mind made her morbid.

It was simply because she had nothing to do and nothing to work towards. Everything came to her annoyingly easily. Every charm, transfiguration, potion or fact was ingrained immediately into her brain, she could thank her photographic memory for that.

There was no challenge to her life, which is what she wanted to change.

So that was the thought process that brought Harlow to Dumbledores office once again. The office was of course the exact same as it was two weeks ago when she first arrived.

The only difference was Dumbledore's presence in the room. The first day back she found his presence almost unnerving and annoying. But this time, she found him more chilled. Harlow was sure it was to do with the knowledge he held when they first met again.