65 - Burning Up

{CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE}
"Holy shit."

Harlow let out a small noise of satisfaction as she watched the Hydra solider frantically attempt to put out the raging fire that was engulfing him

Harlow let out a small noise of satisfaction as she watched the Hydra solider frantically attempt to put out the raging fire that was engulfing him. Harlow knew that the heat of the fire was intense. Intense enough to kill someone given the right amount of time. There was no way the soldier was going to successfully put himself out in time, and Harlow just left him - burning up.

It was that side to her that she tried to hide around others - the ones she cared for. The totally psychotic, twisted and vengeful side to the usually caring and protective girl. The man in her eye line, was a Hydra soldier, a part of the organisation that captured her and stole Winnie too. They were evil people. Bad people who didn't deserve to be forgiven. Even though it wasn't the soldier in front of her hands that grabbed her or forced her down, didn't mean Harlow was going to let him live. Anyone associated with Hydra was going to pay with their lives. She was going to make sure of it.

That side to Harlow was one that was never present when she was a child. When she was young it either never existed or was dormant. She could easily remember key parts of her childhood, before Hydra too her, when she would train in the woods with her so called parents. The young girl constantly refused to hurt any animals, she even felt guilty whenever she was taught to fight against a dummy. They may have been dead and inanimate objects but they still looked similar enough to a person to pull on the young girls heartstrings.

That little girl was gone. Dissipated. Since her past of killing at least one person a day whilst being under the influence and control of Hydra, Harlow got rather good at hurting people. Animals were still a no go. There was no denying guilt was still present, especially during her first fifty kills. But over time she rationalised them. Sure she was killing people, but they were bad people. It however, didn't change her opinion on her being a murderer. Harlow could remember in her first year of being an assassin, she always felt better killing someone who wasn't defenceless. She would give her kills a chance to escape, even though she would be punished for it after. But truthfully, anyone that her sights were set on were defenceless compared to her.

Finally tearing her greedy eyes off the burning solder, Harlow noticed Nat shooting aimlessly up at someone on the edge of the bridge. She was a fair hundred metres away at least, which blocked her view and prevented her from seeing the target. Her blood ran cold as reckless machine gun fire was released heavily down on Nat. She sprung into action, sprinting towards the other red head, prepared to do anything to defend her friend and mentor.

But, when she was faced with Winnie all of her thoughts and actions were immediately terminated and dropped. Maybe she was being soft and too caring. She didn't care. Harlow Loughty would never hurt him, not again. It was a promise to not only him but herself. It didn't matter that the only thing recognisable about Winnie was the way he looked. Hydra was cruel and left him like a shell of who he once was. Despite him hating her and being ready to kill her, Harlow's promise would still be kept.