77 - Comfort

{CHAPTER SEVENTY-SEVEN}
"I'm already causing you pain."

Harlow's chest tightened as her constricted breathing snapped against her ribs

Harlow's chest tightened as her constricted breathing snapped against her ribs. Her eyes were wide, blinking rapidly, as she scanned the room, watching as it started to slowly blur. The seconds felt like minutes as her panic ensued, all of her pent up emotions exploding inside her chest. The guilt was eating her from the inside out - eating her alive. She couldn't stop the spiral of shame and upset, leaving her chocking back sobs. She was loosing sense of her surroundings as she criticised herself.

Why couldn't she have just held James' hand? Why did she have to flinch?

Her hands tightened around the edge of a counter as she leaned into it. Her hands gripping it to centre herself. Her heart felt like it was thundering in her chest. Her mind was too full with words to hear the door to the kitchen swing open, too preoccupied with the muddle that was her mental state. "Fuck." She repeated under her breath, her words full of poison and disgust. What the fuck was wrong with her? She should've just held his hand.

She suddenly felt weight against her back causing compression, which actually brought the girl some comfort, given that she hadn't figured out how this feeling was occurring. The compression helped her heart beat to decrease in pace and improve her previously shallow breathing. Harlow inhaled slowly, her glossy eyes finally making there way to her hands which were stretched out in front of her. Over the next few moments her senses started to slowly come back and she regained a smidge of control. Her eyebrows furrowed as she felt a small puff of air against her neck. Her eyes slowly raked from her hands and to her shoulders where two arms were locked around her body.

Harlow exhaled shakily, breaking free and pushing herself off the counter and away from the individual. She spun around, her eyes wide with fear as she looked back at the messy haired boy. Immediately, tears started to form in her eyes once again as she stared at the guilty boy.

"Harlow I'm sorry- I just thought it'd help." He told her gently, taking a small step towards her.

"No!" She snapped in panic, holding her palm out toward him to halt his movements. "Please, just stay away from me." She begged tearfully, pain etched across her face.

James sighed softly, hating seeing her that way. "Harlow I'm not scared of you." He calmly told her, his eyes showing his words were genuine.

Harlow shook her head defiantly, forcing his hollow words from her ears. She didn't care if he was being genuine. She could accept that he wasn't scared of who she was before she was taken. But, Harlow's wasn't the same. While in captivity she had completely lost her mind, flicking from murderous to suicidal all too quickly to keep track. She shrunk in on herself, her mind filling with all the negative thoughts that only worsened her condition.

"You don't understand." She spoke through clenched teeth, forcing herself to even reply to James despite not wanting to. Honestly, Harlow wanted to roll into a ditch and never get out.