19 - Amazement

{CHAPTER NINETEEN}
"You're allowed to do that?"

Amazement, by dictionary definition, is the feeling of great surprise and wonder

Better known as a feeling Harlow was one hundred percent experiencing. At first she was just feeling slightly uncomfortable as Natasha led them through the intricate hallways of the Helicarrier. Harlow was walking a little bit behind the trio, getting distracted and casting her eyes around the mass amounts of places and room they passed.

But it was not the hallways and individual rooms that impressed her. No it was the main control room. As soon as Harlow stepped foot inside her jaw dropped. Her eyes took in all the amazing and marvellous technology. Equipment she had never laid her eyes on or seen before. It almost made her giddy how advanced everything was.

She watched in awe as everyone moved as a team and followed the orders directed to them by their commanding officers, and the people in charge of them. From the corner of her eye she could see Steve hand Fury money, something she wasn't sure as to why. She could hear in the background as Nick greeted the newcomers with a simple, "Gentlemen."

Nick paused as he realised there was a missing member. He turned to Natasha with an expectant look. Natasha gestured with her head over to where Harlow was standing, staring at one of the high tech screens. It was almost like Natasha had read his mind, but she just knew him well enough to read him.

"Isn't she a little bit too young to be involved in all of this?" Steve asked from Fury's side. He watched carefully as Harlow glanced to her side before moving and interacting with the screen. Steve couldn't help the small smile that twisted onto his lips as he observed the girl that thought she was being sneaky.

"You'll understand why soon." Nick replied vaguely and moved himself over to the large table at the back of the room. "Harlow." Nick called out to her as he was walking over to the table.

Harlow was quickly snapped out of her own realm of excitement as she forced herself to leave the incredible screens behind. Just as she approached the back of the room she could overhear Nick talking to Bruce as they had their brief introductions.

"So, how long am I staying?" Bruce questioned as he stood to the side hesitantly, shrinking on on himself a bit. It was rather sad to watch how unsure he was feeling.

"Once we get our hands on the Tesseract, you're in the wind."

"Is that when I'll be leaving two?" Harlow queried, catching the attention of the two men. She was shifting on the ball of her feet and couldn't stand in the same spot for more than thirty seconds. There was two reasons for this, one she was filled with way too much joy from seeing some of the coolest computers ever and two her mind was incredibly unbalanced and muddled.

"Kid, I'll be getting you back to school as soon as possible." Nick offered as a response, which once again was a rather ambiguous answer. To Harlow, it seemed the man could never give a straight forward reply.