22 - Taking Control

{CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO}
"Don't try to lie Nick."

Harlow spent the majority of her life being told what to do

Harlow spent the majority of her life being told what to do. Whether it was by her parents, who she recently learnt aren't truly her parents, or by the people who held her captive.

The control both parties held over her could arguably be proved to just as bad as each other. While one was softer and more gentle, the other was over bearing and harsh. In a way her parents were more manipulative, than the people who were holding her captive and training her as an Assassin. Harlow knew the power those people held over her while she was younger and still a beginner. But, with her agent stand in parents, Harlow couldn't help but wonder if they were training her subtly to become like them.

Harlow was sick of the lack of control she had over her own life, and she was dedicated to change that. Never again would she allow herself to be controlled by any other person, that was decided. And would always be.

"Sit down!" Harlow barked, with a surprising amount of authority. "We are going to be having a chat, right now!" She added at a hiss and stalked right after Nick as he moved to sit down.

Nick obeyed with a slight hint of grumpiness. In complete truth, Nick was very uncertain in how to interact with Harlow. He still had no idea what she could do with her powers, only that she can hold in a fight. He didn't know how to proceed and figured he should take the better option and listen.

"Couldn't sleep?" Nick asked with his usual professional sounding tone. He leant forward in his seat so he could rest his clasped hands onto the table.

"You're gonna have to answer my questions. If you want my help that is." Harlow responded, completely ignoring Nick's question. "I heard you expressing just how desperate you are to Loki, so I know you need me." She concluded with a smirk on her face. The two of their eyes locked and Harlow could feel Nick's annoyance radiating off of him.

"Currently you haven't proved yourself to be too useful." Nick replied and tilted his head in an attempt to antagonise Harlow.

"Don't try to lie Nick. You were impressed by my punch earlier. And you must have heard plenty from your agents who questionably raised me." Harlow spat, her hand clasped the side of the table harshly. It was one of the only ways to keep her grounded. "And besides I've been wrongly kept out of everything."

Nick sighed heavily and leaned back in his chair. "What do you want to know, kid?"

"Let's start with my biological family. Do you have any information on them?"

"No we don't. When we found you, due to your extraordinary high energy and heat signature, we shortly discovered that you have no finger print. We couldn't find and traces as to who you were, so we just created a new life for you. After all, at the time you were estimated to be around five months old." Nick answered her question, his voice impartial like usual. "Next question." He added giving Harlow no time to digest the information.