25 - No Longer Alone

{CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE}
"You're okay. Shh, we're gonna be okay."

Growing up Harlow was alone

Growing up Harlow was alone. Sure, she was surrounded by two people who posed as parents. But even then she was alone. At the time she didn't know that there was no shared DNA between them, if she did that would have only made her feel even more isolated. And even then as a kid, with so many things unknown to her, she still couldn't rid herself of the alienation she always felt. And it came down to one thing: her genetic mutation.

Her childhood before Hogwarts was wildly restricted. Living deep in the middle or nowhere and being home schooled resulted in Harlow having no friends, at all. Not one single friend. Her severe lack of social skills were still apparent to the day, the way she talked to people was usually blunt and borderline rude the majority of times. Her first year at Hogwarts helped her greatly in learning to socialise, allowing her to make friends like Lily Evans. Unfortunately, three years of captivation was bound to ruin all the progress.

But the captivity wasn't even the main problem for the failed friendships. It was all the secrets mostly due or better known as Harlow's true genetics.

The posing Loughty parents made sure to regularly scare the shit out of Harlow on the topic of being a mutant. Making her believe that if someone found out about what she was she'd end up just like the rest of her kind, extinct. So young Harlow, in her mind, left no chance to slip up. She was constantly on guard and never truly herself.

Every passing comment made by Lily since returning to school about Harlow turning back to her old self or about everyone just needing to wait for her to be herself again, were so far from correct. Unless, she wanted Harlow to go back to doing her best to be someone she was not. In truth, even now, Harlow had no clue who she was. What she liked consisted of nothing. Nothing that she could think of on the spot at least. Harlow knew remarkingly little about herself, considering it was her mind. The one thing she knew was what she feared.

The marauder boys had been helpful in starting the process of Harlow finally getting the chance of exploring her personality and seeing more of the positives of life. But the mystery guest Nick was introducing Harlow to completed the puzzle. It was like they rid Harlow's mind of all the fuzziness she had surrounding herself.

She no longer felt so alone.

Bruce stood behind a desk, using more of the advanced technology that wowed Harlow. She physically had to stop herself from making "wow" noises out loud. She watched standing next to him, as he scanned Loki's sceptre, nothing but focus written on Bruce's face.

"The gamma readings are definitely consistent with Selvig's reports of the Tesseract." Bruce stated, his eyes latched onto the screen as his hand continued moving the scanner. Bruce sneaked a glance at Harlow before gesturing her to take over the scanning, which she quickly accepted. "But it's gonna take weeks to process."