50 - Awake Surgery

{CHAPTER FIFTY}
"The skins just forming together. Like-like it's sowing itself back together."

"You suggest a what?" The doctor spoke in alarm, previously having know nothing about Nicks idea

"An awake surgery. You don't put her to sleep so she can see exactly what you do to her." Nick explained, "So she'll know if you mess up." He added making the Doctor stiffen.

Harlow frowned, she was rather hesitant to the idea. "I don't understand why I need surgery, I can easily heal. Like look at the bullet wounds, they practically completely healed." She emphasised pointing aggressively at the areas of her body.

The doctor sighed. Agents were always hard to work with, but Harlow was proving to be even more challenging. "If you heal on your own, which we all know you can do, it will heal incorrectly." The doctor put simply.

Harlow clenched her jaw. She looked over at Jasmine and saw the bright and hopeful look on her face. "Please?" Jasmine whispered softly with a smile.

A small groan slipped through Harlow's lips. "Are you sure there's no other way? Like-like can't you just move the bone without cutting me-" Harlow rambled, clutching to her words without really thinking about what she was saying.

Nick had enough of Harlow's incessant dribble of words and cut her off. "Harlow, you're supposed to be a smart kid. It won't work."

Harlow frowned at Nick. "You're not a doctor." She hissed lowly and turned to look at the doctor.

After a moment of intense eye contact between the pair the Doctor slowly shook their head. "I'm afraid that's not an option."

Harlow slumped into her bed rather childishly and grimaced before she spoke. "Fine. But I wanna be awake." She firmly decided. There was no chance Harlow was going to allow them to perform surgery on her without her knowing what was going on. She had been through way to many experimental surgeries that she never consented to.

And they're undoable.

The doctor looked over to Nick as they pressed their lips together tightly. "Alright," They gave in knowing they didn't have the authority to refuse Nick's orders. "We'll give you local anaesthesia to numb your arm. So you'll be awake but numb."

Harlow pouted childishly but took a deep breath. "That'll do it then." She muttered extremely unenthusiastically, clearly not looking forward to the operation.

Who would?!

Harlow was quick in being prepped and readied for surgery. She was of course, gloomy the whole time, even Jasmine couldn't cheer her up. The younger girl was stumped on how to make her big sister feel better. All Jasmine could do was stay by Harlow's side before she went into surgery.

The two of them didn't have long so Jasmine told Harlow everything about how Finnic was doing and gave her a run down on her own injuries, before Harlow was taken into surgery.