69 - Blast from the Past

{CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE}
"Not for your deal old mum?"

The frustration bubbling in Harlow's system only continue to boil as she made her way through the Hydra compound

The frustration bubbling in Harlow's system only continue to boil as she made her way through the Hydra compound. With the guards now in line, Harlow had a small smirk on her face. Her reputation seemed to be known, an advantage for her.

It was quickly wiped off her face when two familiar figures came into view. They were bickering heatedly. The woman was standing with her back to the wall, her arms crossed over her chest as she bit back. The man was stood in front of her, towering over her slightly as he pointed his finger angrily at her.

"How is this my fault!" The woman whisper shouted, shaking her head at the man. "We made and agreement to a mission. It's not my fault that you grew attached. You need to get over it before she gets here, because she isn't exactly going to be your doting daughter when she finds out the truth." She continued, her voice picking up in volume as she ranted at the man.

Harlow froze as realisation settled in her stomach.

The two people in front of her were supposed to be dead. Fury had told her that they were gone. Lost during a dangerous mission.

"Dad?" Harlow called out, pausing in her movement. Her voice was fragile compared to her rougher exterior. In that moment her voice sounded almost child like and innocent.

The mans head whipped round, "Harlow." He muttered under his breath, his eyes widening as he saw her, in person, for the first time in years. His lips parted again but no words managed to be formed. This was it. The moment that his sweet girl would hate him, a moment he could never fully prepare himself for.

Harlow's eyes scanned his very much alive face and her stomach bundled into knots. She felt sick. He looked alive and well. Perfectly healthy, especially in comparison to herself. Everything clicked in her head. There had always been so much left unknown about what happened to her. Too many unanswered questions. But there they were, the keys to the answers, right in front of her. They were Hydra agents. They were the reason Hydra knew all about her and her abilities. They were responsible for her kidnapping. It was them. Fury thought they were dead because they faked their deaths, to continue their work with Hydra.

The whole re-kidnapping situation was so overwhelming but this was even worse. Anybody watching could clearly see the visible heartbreak on Harlow's face. Being back, in the clutches of her tortures hurt her brain, but this shattered her heart. The hardest pill to swallow was Harlow's yearn for her dad. Her desperation to be held in his arms and cry her heart out in his chest.

Joseph took a step away from Charlotte and towards Harlow. His arms were held up in front of himself, almost telling her to stop thinking, to stop worrying. But it was fruitless. "Harlow, honey-" He spluttered, taking a further step with each word.

Harlow acted quickly, pushing her hand out in front of her demanding him to stop. Joseph stilled, raising his head in surrender, fearing Harlow was about to burn him to a crisp.
The heat never came.