18 - Overdue Truths

{CHAPTER EIGHTEEN}
"Harlow, it's time we have a chat."

"It was a long time coming" a very common phrase basically meaning that something was expected

"It was a long time coming" a very common phrase basically meaning that something was expected. In this situation, the expected side was not on behalf of Harlow, rather the stranger talking to her. He had been waiting until the time came when he would have to finally introduce himself and come clean.

And that day was, better yet, the night of the Christmas Ball.

"Harlow, it's time we have a chat." The man proposed as he gestured over to two seats placed opposite each other in the room. Harlow followed his directions only due to her curiosity.

"Nice eyepatch." Harlow uttered as she slumped down and onto the seat. She kept her eyes locked on his, scanning for any sign that he was a threat. After all he was a stranger that somehow knew her name.

"I'm Nick Fury. The director of SHIELD an American based special law enforcement and counter-terrorism agency." He stated as he walked over and sat down. Nick paused after what he told her, expecting one of two responses. Harlow would either not believe or get confused.

Harlow nodded slowly while taking in the information. I mean it isn't totally out there considering the life she's had. "Okay Nick, but why are you here?" She asked as she patiently sat, coming to the terms that the situation was much more important than she originally thought it to be.

Nick sighed, "Because I know who you are, or in other words what capabilities you have." He revealed making Harlow's jaw clench. "And I need your help, we have a-"

Harlow was quick to cut him off before he got too far in his reason for needing her. "And how do you know this?" She queried a threatening scowl settling on her face.

"Listen kid, I'm going to be brutally honest with you because we don't have the time." He admitted and took a short pause, "You got put on our radar when you were one year old. We got calls from the government here about a disturbance, and even though we're not international we checked it out. And found you all alone. We ran tests and found out what you were, you had some really weird results." Nick explained, leaning forward slightly in his chair towards her as he spoke.

Harlow crossed her arms over her chest and scoffed. "And you just what- let me return home and to my parents?"

"No we didn't." Nik bluntly replied and clicked his tongue in annoyance. "Kid, you killed your biological parents in the explosion that drew us to you. We gave two of our agents the mission of raising, keeping an eye on you and reporting back to us. Kelsie Loughty and Eddie Loughty aren't their real names. They're Agent Wilson and Agent Kent. Both who died during a mission over three years ago now."

Speechless. Completely and utterly speechless.

Harlow had no idea what to say, her world was coming down crashing on her. The people who helped her as a kid, the two individuals who claimed to love her were nothing but agents doing a job.