60 - Borrowed Time

{CHAPTER SIXTY}
"So, you didn't watch someone die in front of you."

Harlow returned to the boys with her heels in hand

Harlow returned to the boys with her heels in hand. Her feet ached ever so slightly as she walked, running in heels was definitely not for her. There was something visibly wrong with the girl. It wasn't just the look of dejection that was so extreme that anyone could practically feel the emotion dripping of the girl.

No, it was much more than that. Something more significant.

The marauder boys had seen angry Harlow multiple times, annoyed Harlow even more times, happy Harlow sometimes and even sad Harlow a couple of times.

But they hadn't witnessed that.

She walked over to them with her head hung low, trying to avoid all counts of eye contact. "Grab your stuff, you have to go back." She instructed them, her voice wavering as she told them to get a move on.

The boys exchanged glances with each other, as the tears welling up in her eyes glistened due to the light. "I don't think it's a good idea to leave you alone." Remus spoke up, trying to place a comforting hand on her shoulder, but it was quickly shrugged off.

Harlow finally looked over to him, her nose moving as she sniffled quietly. "I need to keep you guys safe." She sternly stated. It was the only thing she was sure about; getting the boys to safety.

"But we can help." James insisted, hating the idea of leaving his friend alone in a mess.

Harlow shook her head at them, everything in her head was moving at a slower than normal pace. Almost like it was lagging. Her own voice sounded slightly cloudy and far away in her head as she spoke, the face she had just seen, tormented and villainous, preoccupying her mind. "There's nothing you can do." She replied, "Just pack your bag." She repeated, leaving them alone while she went to converse with Steve and the other Agent.

Steve, assuming the girl was upset over Fury being in a critical condition, tried to reassure her. "Fury's strong." He whispered to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder to give her a sideways hug. "With help he'll be back in shape in no time."

Harlow nodded her head along with his words, pretending to be listening to him. But really, her head was filled. Filled with vivid and detailed images of Winnie, memories of them having a rare good time which then got drowned out by the millions of bad memories that existed between them. Her brain was working at full capacity, it even scientifically did, to process the information she had just come across.

Guilt seeped into her body, all throughout it, flooding all her senses. She should've looked for him. She should've gone back for him. There was so much she should've done and those were the thoughts that killed her. Harlow didn't believe that she was being tough on herself. She had failed him and knew she would never forgive herself for it.