↳˗ˏˋ five ˊˎ˗↴

———— NERVOUS WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT

[y/n] couldn't even begin to describe how freaked out she was about hanging out with the guys. it was almost too scripted; new girl hangs out with hot successful guys at a bar. what kind of netflix shit was this?

she finished up everything she needed to do for the day and looked at the address iwaizumi sent to her, figuring out which train to take to get there. it was relatively easy since the bar was in a pretty popular spot, but she was still a bit new to the area so it took a little longer than expected. [y/n] finally found it and headed in, holding her phone close to her as she glanced around, trying to spot the boys. she saw a flash of orange hair in the corner and slowly made her way over, confidence gathering as she got closer to the table.

iwaizumi had been keeping an eye out for her, but, with everything going on around them, it was hard to stay super focused. when she got closer though, he waved her over, a smile on his face when she met his gaze. "you made it!"

"i may or may not have taken a wrong turn, but i managed," [y/n] chuckled.

"what're you drinking? on me," kuroo asked.

"that's very sweet, but you really don't have to-"

"like hell we'd make you pay for your drinks. we invited you out, it's the least we can do. we can celebrate your first day!" hinata grinned.

"y'know, i bet i can guess your drink of choice," yaku crossed his arms.

"oh?" [y/n] raised a brow.

"probably something girly, right? like a cosmo," atsumu teased, lazily slinging an arm around yaku.

"though good, they're not my favorite," [y/n] shrugged.

"leave her alone, you jackasses. she's barely been here for five minutes and hasn't had a drink yet," iwaizumi glared as he scolded them, shaking his head before seeing kuroo whisper to [y/n], who whispered something back and he disappeared towards the bar. "i'd say i promise they're usually not like this, but they really are always like this."

"it's alright! reminds me of college a little bit," she chuckled.

"where did you go to school?" yaku asked.

"university of miami."

"oh wow, so you went to america for school like iwaizumi!" hinata awed.

"uh, yeah, i guess," she shrugged. kuroo had returned, two drinks in hand as he set one down in front of [y/n].

"so, what did i miss?" he asked.

"literally nothing," yaku flatly stated, gently swirling his glass.

it was like that the rest of the night. constant bickering, inquiring about [y/n]'s life, and even more teasing and joking. it was nice, honestly. it had been a while since [y/n] was able to go out and hang out with people. it also made her more comfortable with the team, and she knew she'd have no problems working with them. she was about six drinks in when she finally looked at the time on her phone. "i should probably head out, i've got a long day tomorrow," [y/n] told them.

"aw, boo," bokuto pouted, noticeably drunk.

they were all relatively drunk, some more than others. [y/n] was shockingly not that inebriated despite having that many drinks, but she'd argue that she took it much slower than the boys, who were slamming drink after drink. "i'll come with you," kageyama volunteered, and [y/n] gave him a smile.

"i appreciate it, but you really don't have to! i'll manage to get home."

"nope, not happening. i can always take you," yaku's words slurred a bit, and [y/n] shook her head, holding back a laugh.

"i can; i think we take the same train anyways," kuroo added.

"we should all start heading home, we have a big practice day tomorrow," hinata pointed out, and everyone glared at him.

"ah, come on, [y/n]. i'll take you home," suna said, slinging an arm around her shoulder, stumbling a bit.

"it seems i might have to take you boys home. i'm the most sober one here," she laughed, steadying suna so he didn't fall over.

"idiots. all of you," aran shook his head. he decided to be the level-headed one and singled out who was the next most sober person, and, once deciding it was kageyama, he grabbed suna from [y/n]. "kageyama, make sure [y/n] makes it back safely. i'll get these idiots back to the apartment." kageyama nodded and [y/n] figured she had no choice, so the two of them headed out and boarded the train together, sitting in comfortable silence.

"so," kageyama started, twirling his thumbs, "you have fun?"

"mhm. you guys are super cool, and it looks like you're all super close. thought i was intruding," [y/n] admitted.

"a lot of us have known each other for forever, so it's just second nature to us, i guess. but, everyone really likes you, so no need to worry about intruding. you're part of the team now."

"thanks, kageyama."

"no problem." the train made a stop and [y/n] glanced up to see where they were at.

"this is me."

"alright, let's go."

"you really don't have to walk with me all the way back to my place. it's late and i wouldn't want you to head back on your own."

"i don't know why you're trying to argue when you know you're going to lose. come on, let's get you home," kageyama gently nudged her out of the train, walking beside her towards the apartment. it was relatively close to the station, and [y/n] glanced at the time on her phone before looking at kageyama, who looked prepared to leave.

"why don't you stay?" she blurted.

kageyama blinked. "huh?"

"uh, you can spend the night! i don't want you to have to go back, especially now that it's so late and dark out. i've got the extra room, so it's totally fine."

"i really don't mind heading back-"

"i insist." kageyama has given her a look, but she returned an equally stern one, so he knew he wasn't getting out of this. he reluctantly followed her up, nervously pinching his elbow since he crossed his arms.

it felt weird, considering everyone was hardcore simping for her, and here he was, waltzing into her apartment. she opened the door and let him in, locking the door behind her once they were inside. he awkwardly followed her in, watching as she set her bag and keys down on a little table near the entryway. she slipped her shoes off, him doing the same as they made their way to the living room. her place was nice. much bigger than he was expecting, considering she was the only one that lived here. he stood almost frozen as he watched her move around, going into what he presumed was her room. he looked around; it wasn't as girly as he was expecting. it felt homey, though.

she soon returned with neatly folded clothes, passing the pile to him. "these should work! i got them from nittadai; they accidentally gave me the wrong welcome package, so i got a bunch of mens clothes."

"oh, thank you."

"no problem! there's a second bathroom there if you want to bathe, and it's fully stocked."

"sounds good. thank you so much."

"if you need anything else, just let me know!" she smiled, showing him where the extra bedroom was so he could get himself settled, and soon headed off to shower and sleep herself.

kageyama bathed and changed into the clothes, settling into the guest bed and stared at the ceiling.

she was going to be the death of them.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

happy new year !