↳˗ˏˋ eight ˊˎ˗↴

———— BOKUTO, IN FACT, COULD NOT HANDLE IT

he was sitting on the table, trying to be quiet as [y/n] instructed the class. she was not kidding when she said she was aggressive with her taping; he could barely move his ankles and wrists, and he felt like his circulation would cut off any second.

"when you do the teardrop tape anchors at the top and right before the ball of the foot, make sure they're nice and tight, so when you go to finish the taping on the rest of the section, there's no gaps, and make sure the pre-wrap covers all the skin. any questions?"

"how far up would you have to tape?" one student asked.

"it depends. for ankle taping, i wouldn't go too far up past the ankle bone on the side there. maybe about the length of a crew sock."

"is it possible to end up wrapping it too tight?" another asked.

"yes, and the athlete will be able to feel that. if it's causing discomfort, cut it off and start over. but, if they're just saying it's tight, just let them know that it's providing support."

"you mentioned that american football tapes differently?"

"some american football players will tape their ankles, and then they will have the trainer tape their cleats as well. it's to provide extra support. anything else?" the students shook their heads, and the teaching assistant thanked her for her time and ended the zoom call. [y/n] grabbed the tape cutter and cut off the tape from bokuto's ankles and wrists, tossing it in the trash. "thanks for the help today."

"yeah, it's no problem. you're pretty good at teaching, y'know."

"it's just explaining what you already know, so i mean, it's not that hard?"

"i mean, i guess. but, i definitely couldn't do it," bokuto chuckled. "that was interesting, though! i learned a lot. and, it looks like those students really respect you and care about what you're teaching."

"they're probably annoyed with me. i think i'm the worst instructor they have," [y/n] admitted, putting up the supplies.

"aw, not true! you're a pro, and they're probably just intimidated by how amazing you are! i mean, you are working for the japan national team, so obviously you've got mad skills."

"thank you," [y/n] quietly said, feeling her face get hot. she didn't take compliments well. glancing at the time on her watch, she looked back at bokuto. "shit, i didn't realize how late it was. i'm so sorry to keep you here."

"no, it's fine! i offered," he assured, and she gave him a small smile. she got an idea, and bokuto noticed her face light up.

"how about dinner? my treat, for keeping you here so long," [y/n] suggested. bokuto wanted to viciously nod and yell and scream in agreement, but he knew he had to keep his cool, so he cleared his throat, nodding subtly. [y/n] grabbed her bag and they headed out after bokuto grabbed his things. "so, are you guys all staying around here?"

"yeah, they set up all the athletes in an apartment building not too far from the facility. kuroo and iwaizumi stay about two buildings down. i'm guessing you live around here, since you aren't staying with the rest of the staff?"

"you'd be correct! it was actually one of the reasons i was willing to take the job. i probably wouldn't have if i had to pack up all my stuff just to stay around for a month."

"fair enough," bokuto laughed, [y/n]'s mouth curving into a smile. his laugh was so melodic, almost contagious. "oh! this place has some of the best sushi," he pointed to a restaurant, and [y/n] grabbed his wrist, dragging him in. they were seated relatively quickly, and bokuto had ordered for both of them.

"it's very cute in here. i like the aesthetic," [y/n] noted.

"yeah, it's almost calming to me, in a sense. i always feel relaxed when i come here," bokuto leaned back in the seat, finger tapping methodically on the table.

"i'm surprised, considering how energetic you are. feels like you're always so upbeat."

"i'm a believer that if you put good vibes out in the world, good things will come back to you."

"ah, a believer of karma."

"you don't believe in it?"

"i do to an extent."

"pray tell."

[y/n] shrugged, "i guess it's true that what you put out in the world, you get in return. but sometimes, you could put out all the good you have in your entire being and nothing would come in return. i get that patience is a virtue, but some people wait their entire lives for one good thing to happen in exchange for the five hundred good things they put out, y'know?" she leaned back against the seat, shoulder slumped a bit. "karma is a bitch. i guess you decide for yourself what kind of bitch she is."

"surely you've done some good in your life. look at you now! you're young and successful, and you have great energy from what i can tell," bokuto offered.

"maybe. i wouldn't recognize it," [y/n] shrugged once more, internally grateful when she saw their server return with the food.

it was mostly filler conversation after that, trying to get a few words in between bites of food. once they finished, bokuto offered to pay, but [y/n] refused, seeing as it was her idea in the first place. plus, she already offered. can't just take it back.

"this was fun. talking to you really helped me think about some things," [y/n] said as they walked out.

"yeah, we should definitely do this again! granted, given if we have time once the training intensives begin," bokuto chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. it was dark out, so he turned to her again, seeing she was gripping her bag strap a bit tighter. "come on, i'll get you home."

"oh, it's fine, really! you should get home and get rest. we've got a lot to do."

"yeah, that wasn't up for debate. come on, let's go," he snorted, grabbing her wrist and walking her to the train station.

"hey, bokuto?" he turned his head, eyes looking at her.

"hm?"

"you're a good person." the corner of his mouth curled into a smile, and he turned his head back to face forward again.

"thanks."

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒