↳˗ˏˋ ten ˊˎ˗↴

———— THEY DELAYED THEIR PHOTOS ON PURPOSE

leave it to the mens volleyball team to make her want to quit her job. she loved them, truly, but goddamn.

she could slit each of their throats with a pen at this very moment.

the boy has leisurely strolled in at the last moments to get their individual photos taken, laughing and joking around as they entered. they thought they'd be welcomed warmly with a bright smile. instead, they faced a beast.

"alphabetical order by last name. now," [y/n] briskly demanded, the boys quickly falling silent and in line as she called out their last names.

bokuto reluctantly stood at the front of the line, an innate sense of fear washing over him. if they weren't careful, they could possibly lose their life. "guys, i'm too young to die," he whispered to the others.

"you'll do great!" suna whispered back, giving him a thumbs up.

"bokuto! you're first," [y/n]'s voice seemed to boom and bounce off the walls. "quick smile, shouldn't be too hard. ready?" bokuto didn't respond and gave a simple, quick nod. he smiled for the camera, which snapped very quickly. the lights blinded him for a second, and he barely had time to recover before he was ushered away by mayumi, whispering apologies for [y/n]'s sudden change in behavior as she let him off to the side. "let's go, boys! we don't have all day. chita, you're next!"

one by one the boys did as they were told: stand, smile, shoot, step away.

it was ushijima who almost broke her.

"dude, would it kill you to smile?" [y/n] groaned, leaning against the chair.

"my face doesn't really do that," he simply stated, making [y/n] raise a brow.

"a smirk, maybe? or some minuscule attempt to look like you enjoy being here?"

"to be quite frank, i don't want to be here. i find this to be a slight waste of my time, and from the look on your face and attitude, you don't want to be here either." the group of boys standing to the side felt their jaws drop through the floor. they heard a squeak off to the side, seeing mayumi cower a bit.

"not good," atsumu whispered.

"he's practically digging his own grave, we have to save him," hinata whimpered.

"guys, i don't like this!" yaku whisper-yelled from his spot. he was last, after ushijima.

"i'm not a religious person, but i could pray," ojiro snickered.

[y/n] quietly scoffed, setting her clipboard down and slowly stepping towards ushijima, "alright listen, kid-"

"i'm older than you," ushijima blankly pointed out. bokuto smacked his head, atsumu, suna, and ojiro joining their hands together in prayer. hinata hid behind kageyama, who wished there was someone he could hide behind in close proximity right now.

"refrain from speaking for twenty seconds," [y/n] hissed, finally making it in front of him. she brought her hands towards him, and the boys almost intervened, but refrained when she began simply straightening out his uniform. "listen, ushijima. i've had a very long day, as i'm sure you've had as well. while not as physically strenuous, my brain is at maximum capacity right now. i've been awake for over twelve hours, my one hour lunch turned into a ten minute lunch, and now i have forty six team photos after this. do you see where i'm going with this?"

"sure," he managed to stifle out, his body reacting to her slow, gentle touches along his arms and midsection. the way her soft hands ghosted over parts of his skin made him heat up. his own stomach was knotting. he was trying to not look down, since their height difference was quite apparent and, well, if he looked down to see her looking up, it would not end well.

"great, so, if you could just manage some sort of smile? pretty please? for me?" she asked, ushijima finally facing his demons and glancing down at her to see she had given him eyes and a little pout, out of view from the other boys. he cleared his throat and gave her a little nod, and she gave him a smile, running her hands over his chest once more to straighten out the shirt and returned to where she was standing.

finally, the individual photos were done. it was team photo time.

the boys made their way to the gym, not even wanting to disrupt [y/n]. she had dashed off the moment the photos had ended, so they really had no clue where she even was, anyways.

"ushi, what'd she say to ya?" atsumu asked, bringing an arm around him.

"yeah, quite out of character for you to just give in so quickly," suna teased.

"leave me alone," ushijima said.

"uh, hey, ushi?" bokuto tapped his arm gently.

"what is it, bokuto?" he sighed, his brows furrowing at bokuto and kageyama's flustered expressions. soon, the others had become flustered or began teasing him, and he glared at them all. "what is it?" he demanded. yaku simply pointed down, and his eyes followed, the realization kicking in. "... i see."

"yeah, we all see," komori snorted.

"how did you not notice?" yaku stifled a laugh, komori letting one slip out as they moved away from ushijima before he beat the lights out of them.

"it is not something i am focused on right now."

"you should probably go take care of that," kageyama suggested.

"you're making it sound like you're offering to help," hinata wheezed, bokuto laughing. there were tears coming out of his eyes.

"y'know, that photography assistant was eyeing you a bit. what was her name? started with an m, i think?" ojiro pursed his lips.

"mayumi," kageyama said, everyone turning to look at him, wondering how he knew that. "what? she was nice so i asked."

"i'm not having sex with a girl i don't know in our place of employment," ushijima flatly stated.

"don't talk so damn loud, jesus christ," atsumu groaned.

"i hate every bit of this conversation," sakusa interjected, everyone turning to look at him now. he hadn't spoken all day.

"oh, you're just in a mood because she told you to take your mask off," suna rolled his eyes.

"she was nice about it, at least," hinata muttered.

"just pull yourself together before we take the team photo. in the event that there's no one to cover for you, you're in trouble," sakusa waved off.

"i'll... figure it out," ushijima quietly stated, breaking off to head to the locker room by the gym. he found it to be empty and almost let out a sigh when he heard someone step by the back benches where the showers were.

he very carefully made his way over, seeing none other than [y/n] leaned against the wall, seemingly trying to catch a breath. he was about to leave when she spotted him, straightening herself up. "you okay?"

"uh, yeah. i'm fine," he stuttered, frantically trying to turn away and cover himself up with his jacket. [y/n] raised a brow, pushing herself off the wall and walking over to him. she had sized him up before realizing, a little smirk daring to grow in her face. she bit her bottom lip, eyes meeting his as his face grew a shade of pink.

"surely that's not my fault, is it?" she teased, her voice low. he cleared his throat and glanced to the side, confirming her suspicions. "well..."

"what?" he managed. the smirk appeared, a devious glint in her eyes.

"aren't you going to need a little help with that?"

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒