↳˗ˏˋ twenty ˊˎ˗↴

———— SHE DIDN'T DESERVE THEM

[y/n] and iwaizumi had returned, hinata quickly running towards her to give her a hug, blowing off a million miles a minute asking if she was okay and if she needed anything.

"i'm okay, hinata, but thank you for asking! i really appreciate it," she smiled, giving him another hug to show her appreciation.

"we found shizuka, and she literally slapped him so hard that it echoed," hinata grinned, recanting the tale to her in his over exaggerated way. [y/n] laughed as she listened; it was like talking to a child.

"we're just glad you're okay," suna patted her shoulder.

"i really do appreciate it, you guys. sorry for spoiling the mood," she frowned, but bokuto grabbed both her shoulders, shaking her.

"it was not your fault, [y/n]. don't you dare blame yourself for this, i won't allow it! besides, we had all our fun already," he said, still slurring a bit. it seemed like they had sobered up quite a bit, though.

"stop shaking her, good lord. you're gonna give her a damn aneurysm," atsumu smacked the back of bokuto's head.

"i think i'm going to go ahead and head out. you guys get home safe, okay? i am expecting a text from every single one of you when you all get back to the apartments," [y/n] sternly stated.

"yes mom," they droned, causing her to roll her eyes. it was like raising teenagers.

"come on, i'll come with you. it's mad late and i don't want you out alone," kageyama said. she was about to argue, but everyone saw she was about to and basically yelled at her to go with kageyama, so she gave in and they headed out. kageyama had actually called a car service, so once it arrived, they were off.

"thank you, once again," she chuckled.

"it's no problem. the others are still a little drunk so they might've been a smidge too loud for your apartment complex," he joked, though it was honestly a real concern. she lived in a relatively nice place; he didn't want the other hooligans to be the cause of her eviction.

they arrived and headed in, the two arguing once again about whether he should stay over or not. "kageyama, i swear to fucking god, it's almost one am. please, for the love of all things good in this world, stay," she pestered as she unlocked the door.

"i'll be fine, honest!" he groaned.

"well..." she started, trying to find some valid excuse, "ah! i'm not comfortable with you being out alone. point, me! get your ass in here," she pointed inside, to which he begrudgingly trudged in. she gave him slippers and he made his way to the guest bathroom, already knowing the routine.

he took a nice, hot shower and saw a change of clothes and a towel outside the door when he cracked it open. he changed and headed to the living room, seeing she had also already showered and changed. she was making hot tea and offered him some before they sat on the couch.

they made some small talk for a bit, just trying to get a feel for everything. it was kageyama who spoke up first after a little stint of awkward silence.

"okay, seriously though. are you alright?" kageyama asked.

[y/n] nodded, holding the cup close to her chest as she sighed. "i guess it's something that happens a lot, and i should be used to it. but, it doesn't make me feel any less disgusting every time it happens. sometimes i wish i blended into the crowd more, you know? maybe if i looked normal, i'd be treated as normal."

"i think you look perfectly normal," kageyama offered.

"pft, yeah. okay. when you find a universe where looking like this," she gestured to herself, "is normal, let me know. i'll even give you twenty bucks."

"no, i'm serious. because, what even is normal? there's no real way that any of us are supposed to look. it's not like we're barbie dolls, where everyone's got the same bodies and faces with different hair. normal was never normal. we're all beautiful the way we are, and we shouldn't want to change that just because society says we should. you are normal for you. i'm normal for me. that's all that should matter, and if people have a problem with it, then they can go fuck themselves."

"i- wow," [y/n] scoffed, a little laugh leaving her mouth. "kageyama, that's the coolest fucking thing i've ever heard you say."

"oh, thanks. i try?" he shrugged, the two of them laughing. it was nice to just sit there and not have any expectations or commitments. to just sit and laugh and soak in each other's presence was enough. "alright, get to bed," he said, standing up from the couch and bringing his cup to the sink.

"aw, come on! we were having fun," she pouted.

"hey, you conned me into staying here to sleep, so that's what we're gonna do. come on, lazy bones," he shook his head, coming over and grabbing her wrists to pull her off the couch. she refused to move though, so he had to turn to desperate measures: forcible removal by tickling. he attacked her sides, trying to shush her as she screamed before bursting into contagious laughter. she finally got up to run away and bolted to her bedroom, standing at the doorway.

"thanks," she said when she finally caught her breath.

"for what?"

"everything. i really don't deserve you guys," she sniffled, laughing once again, "you guys were actually my first friends in tokyo. i started teaching at nittadai, but all i did was teach. i rarely had the time to make any true connections, get to know anybody. it was work and go home. every day was the same boring, disappointing routine. sure, i love my job, and it offers me great stability, but there wasn't really anything for me, y'know?

and then i joined the olympics staff, and i'm thinking it's going to be the exact same. the people, the vibe, the environment; same old boring thing. but, you guys took the opportunity to get to know me and invite me out and talk to me, and that meant the world. i finally felt like i belonged somewhere, and that's a beautiful feeling. i had been so sad and sick because nova wasn't here to be with me through all these big changes, and then you guys came along like literal guardian angels. no one could ever replace you guys, not in this lifetime or ever. so, thank you. i love you guys."

kageyama felt his heart swell, tears pooling at his waterline as he moved to give her a hug, squeezing her tightly as they both began to cry in the others arms. he wiped her tears and then his own, looking down at her with a smile.

"we love you too, [y/n]. so so much."

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

i like this friendship