Working Together

A oneshot for mlpkiarakiki

Carmen's POV

I sat up, breathing heavily in the middle of the night. I looked around and that man wasn't there. I rested my head back against the pillow. I stared up at the ceiling, trying to fall asleep. I took a deep breath and try to ignore the thoughts of that dream, however, that was impossible. The sight of those brown eyes boring into my soul... all of that anger in his eyes... was scary. I shivered at the thought. I had the image of his hand on the trigger and that gun pointed at my temple embedded in my mind. I feel bad for Elliot, he's the one who had to experience it for real. He was the one who had to really suffer, whatever that feels like. I can't believe that could happen to one of us, let alone poor seventeen-year-old Elliot. I don't know why I am having dreams about it though, that happened a little while ago. Anbu Devanesan is in prison so he'll never get out and hurt anyone again. I heard the noise of the sheets and blankets crinkling and moving. I smiled as I noticed my girlfriend staring at me as I turned to face her. Kiara's eyes lit up as she moved closer to me. She snuggles up to me, wrapping her arms around my neck. A kiss was planted on my cheek and I laughed slightly.

"What are you doing up?"- Kiara asks.

"I just... can't sleep."- I reply.

"Did you have that dream again?"- She asks.

I pause, not wanting to worry her.

"Did you?"- Kiara asks again.

"Yeah..."- I reply.

"Ugh... why?"- She asked.

"Why what? Why am I having that dream?"- I ask.

"Yes. Why do you keep having that dream?"- Kiara asks.

"I don't know. It's probably just trauma... or memory."- I reply with a shrug.

"Well, it's late, you should get back to sleep, and besides, you know that Devanesan is in prison."- She replies.

"I know that Devanesan is in prison, he's not going to break out of prison or anything like that."- I reply.

"He is. He won't hurt Elliot or anyone, anymore."- Kiara says.

"I know. It's just... for some reason I can't stop thinking about it."- I reply.

"Do you want to go talk to Marina about it?"- She asks, reaching out to caress my cheek.

"I'll be just fine Kiara, no need to worry."- I reply.

"Are you sure Carmen?"- Kiara asked.

"Yes. I promise. I'll just try to ignore it and fall asleep."- I reply.

"Don't worry about it. I'll be right here by your side in case that dream bothers you again."- She replied.

"I know that you will Kiara."- I reply, kissing her on the forehead.

She giggled at this. Kiara twirled a curly coil of my black hair.

"Goodnight Carmen."- Kiara replies.

"Goodnight Kiara."- I reply.

She rests her head against my chest. I smile as I gently caress her cheek. I reached out to hold her close to me. I held her close tightly. Kiara continued to twirl my curly coils, messing with my hair and playing with it.

"You really like playing with my hair, huh?"- I say.

Kiara giggled. "It's nice and you like how it feels, yeah?"- She replied.