Bittersweet Success

A oneshot for Chelsea_Anna6509

Adelaine's POV

I never thought that when I heard the phrase 'Don't let fame go to your head' that I would actually be experiencing fame to take this phrase into consideration. I'm not entirely famous, not anything like national or regional. It's more like a small town thing. It's not just me though. Hugh and I are small-town heroes, legends, and etc. Especially around Fairview High! It just seems that our popularity is just always on a steady rise. Our theatre work is also very popular, we're basically known for it. Even though we're both popular in school, I'm even popular in town. I guess being the daughter of a highly respected and beloved police officer that retired has perks. I'm known around town as 'The People's Rose' for a lot of my attributes. People like me for my heartwarming respect, powerful charisma, how I can be a potential aspect and asset to the theatre department, and apparently my irresistible beauty as well. Hugh teases me about how everyone thinks I'm beautiful, saying that he thinks that I am more beautiful than anyone else could tell me. I can definitely see how I could be a very important asset to the theatre department, but Hugh is my equally very important co-asset! I mean, Hugh and I do seem to always get standing ovations at theatre performances.

Our school has a school-wide newspaper that comes out every week. It's sort of how we pass information about what's happening around the school, like events, clubs, performances, and general announcements, to our parents. It's also a way for the school to remind students of things when we get them on Friday, so we don't forget about them over the weekend or long break, etc. It's also run by the students. Hugh and I have been featured a few times in this newspaper, we've but never been on the front page. However, we were on the front page this time! In the picture, we were in the middle of rehearsal of the new performance we're working on, Diana: The Musical. We got the lead roles and are directing again, our third time! Mister Hindinberg said that people would probably be coming in to take pictures. We didn't care, we were rather happy, excited at the prospect of being featured in the newspaper. There was also a morning announcement show to remind us of remember. It was run by our favorite gay couple, Sean and William.

Mom was busy at her school, helping tutor some of her students. My Dad and Mister Turner had gone on a fishing trip since the last time we went was so much fun. The two of them left at like five in the morning. Dad was very excited about it, but he and Mister Turner couldn't pick Sammy, Lexi, or me up from school that day and we couldn't ride the bus. Misses Turner picked us all up from school and brought us to the precinct. I had two copies of the newspaper. We're only supposed to get one but I wanted another copy for my godparents. Audrey snuck me a second copy with a mischievous grin, she does run the printing part of the newspaper. I thanked her and tucked it away into my backpack. I walked over to the profiler office of the precinct. I would rather spend the time I have to wait with my godfather. I knocked on the door and then my godfather Mister Herrera opened the door. A smile formed on his face, highlighting the tired five o'clock shadow.

"Oh, hello Adelaine! What are you doing here so early?"- My godfather says.

"Mom and Dad are busy, so Miss Turner picked us up."- I reply.

"And she brought you here? You want to sit in my office?"- He asks.

"Yes sir!"- I reply.

He turns from the doorway. I walked inside, noticing Mister Devani-Everett and Mister Everett-Devani standing there. My godfather sat down in his chair. The other two men smiled and wave, with Mister Everett-Devani giving me a pleasantry 'Hello!'. I say 'Hello!' back, also waving. I sat down on the couch and began rummaging through my backpack for my homework. I sat my second copy of my newspaper to the side so I could give it to my godfather. The three men resumed chatting. I got my math homework out, picked up the newspaper, and then trotted over to his desk. I didn't want to interrupt, but I needed to give it to him. I waited for him to finish his sentence before I placed it onto my godfather's desk, ever so slightly sliding it over to him. His eyes gravitated towards it, he picked it up and began to examine it. The smile returned to his face, as huge as an arching rainbow.